Rabbits Against Building Code?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the US, you can go towww.searchsystems.net and usethe free portion or the pay to view - the fee is small. Entereither county name, state abbreviation or citty and state. Itbrings up a list of all available public records on line for thatcounty//city, etc.

Some people in authority may be getting confused and thinking of rabbits as farm animals or wildlife.

Underourmunicipality'sdefinition of agricultural, thefollowingareillegal:dog kennels, rabbits,poultry, grapes, horticulture -- even fish breeding for personaluseis illegal!) Forestry and produce stands arespecified as exempt, however,the producemay not begrownon your property. (One of our renters has a huge gardenLOL)

Pam

Well, I finally figured out how to check where Ilive, it seems that if you own a Belgian Hare, you must make sure thatit is enclosed and if it gets out, you must catch it. (have funcatching a hare!And you may not release any Belgian Hares in the citylimits. I know there is a story as to why they arepinpointing Belgian Hares, it just makes me wonder what it is!

They say that we cannot have any exotic animals that they define as anyanimal that is normally not domesticated here in the States such aslions, tigers, bears, skunks, primates, etc. So it is notillegal to have a domesticated rabbit here! YAY!

hummer wrote:
I know there is a story as to why theyare pinpointing Belgian Hares, it just makes me wonder what it is!

Most likely a very old law from the Belgian Hare boom when all domesticrabbits were referred to as "Belgian Hares" because that was the onlyavailable breed at the time.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Underourmunicipality'sdefinition of agricultural, thefollowingareillegal:dog kennels, rabbits,poultry, grapes, horticulture -- even fish breeding for personaluseis illegal!) Forestry and produce stands arespecified as exempt, however,the producemay not begrownon your property. (One of our renters has a huge gardenLOL)

Pam
All I have to say is: Grapes??? LMBO

Jen

pamnock wrote:
There is to be no cultivation of grapes in this town LOL

Pam
Hey - those grapes can get out of hand you know!

:colors:

If I hadn't been so busy, I should have sat inon the zoning regulation meetings. We really don't fit intothe commercial district zoning we were put under because we are setback behind the main drag, well wooded and own the largest piece ofproperty in town where we could easily have a horse, greenhouse or evengrapes LOL

On the other hand, if we want to start a business in the future, residential zoning would have prevented that.

From reading the new zoning laws,itappearsthata lot of other businessproperty owners sat in on the meetings to have the zoning writtenspecifically for their needs, so that their businesses would not beprohibited -- I should have made certain that we were agzoned. Matthew wants a pony and we could easily house a ponyon our property.

Pam

Nicky Snow wrote:
any pitbull pups born now are to be destroyed
That sounds so Hitler-esque! Let me note that in saying thatI am in no way belittling the tragedy of the Holocaust - hey, myboyfriend is Jewish. It just scares me that the person whomakes up laws to destroy a living thing based solely on its geneticshas such a similar thought pattern to his. What next?

I live in New York also - Rockland county. I'm not sure whatthe laws are, but I have a wonderful landlady who adores mybunnies! She even brings her grandchildren downstairs to seethe bunnies when they're visiting.:) My apartment isdefinitely legal, but it is so secluded in the back of the house that Idon't think most of the neighbors realize it's there.
And since I work in New York City, I totally love going home to that kind of space and privacy!

I would love to own my own home, but the way real estate prices arearound here I feel like the only way I can possibly do that is if I winthe Lotto.

The elephant comment reminds me of when we wereat a parade and My son Tyler told me to buy a horse.. I asked wherewould the horse live and he said outside!! It was so funny cause mylease don't say I can't tie up a horse. :) He istalking so much these days. I was talking to him and told himhe said he is always living with me and I asked what about if you get awife where will she sleep, and he said outside!! But his kidscan sleep inside.

Cristy

Cristy that is so funny, I love how kids just say what they feel, more adults should be so carefree about life.

Latest posts

Back