Rabbitry Design

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windywakefield

Reaction score
Hi everyone, we are just starting to get into breeding/showing Hollands. I have been trying to find examples of different rabbitries, and am wondering whether anyone keeps their rabbits in their home (vs outside or in a barn/shed)?
At least at this stage I'm not planning anything gigantic (maybe 6 or 9 holes), and it would take us a while to be able to afford an outbuilding (and, I think at least to start it might be a bit of overkill?
What has worked best for you guys?

We never kept any of our rabbits in the house, except in exceptional cases, and then it was only temporary. We kept ours in stackable cages next to the house in the backyard. We built a cover/roof to protect them and hung shadecloth around the sides. In the winter we had heavy tarps hung on the sides to protect from the cold wind.

I do know one breeder who kept her rabbits in stackable cages in the house, but it was a BIG chore to keep the cages from smelling up the house. Keep in mind that intact bucks have a strong smelling urine and some are known to spray. We even had a couple of does who sprayed. Most breeders who have any land will put up either a big storage/lawn building or build an open air barn and hang cages from the rafters.

That's kind of what I was assuming was the case, even though I would rather have folks tell me what I want to hear, lol!
We definitely already have experience with bunny aim - our little buck has decided he likes to pee out the door side (not, of course, where any of his urine guards would fit)...
I do have a utility porch out back that is sort of semi enclosed, I might be able to put a few stacks out there without it being too cramped. I just know that winters can be a little rough here, and frozen water worries me a little...

Rabbits do better in the cold than the heat. As long as they’re protected from rain, sun and cold wind they do fine. If it got too low we would put nestboxes filled with hay in the cages and some of them got in to stay warm. I would check their water bowls in the evening and morning and make sure any ice was removed.

Back