rabbitry advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmtangelkrystal

Reaction score
i have wanted to raise babies seance i started ag class in school, i got smart on behavior but never had hands on training with them... part of the reason i'm so flustered with missy's first surviving litter.

anyways, i will be moving to troy Missouri next month and on a farm too. i was wanting to get different breeds and make a rabbitrey to earn some extra money so we can live a lot..well free, but i just love my babies. i was wanting to know if anyone would want to give me tips for when i start. ^^

One thing you should know is that breeders don't make a profit from raising rabbits. ;) Your expenses will be more than your income. ;) Any "extra" money you make from sales, will probably go right back into the rabbits, and unless your breeding superior animals, you won't be selling them for very much $$. The most I make on a litter is about $95 - and that goes straight back towards the rabbits - it's not really any extra money, and it definitely doesn't help me live "free."

Breeding and raising rabbits is a lot of work and there is a lot that goes into it.

You have to get used to the fact that there will be deaths, and that some things the mother does it normal. Litters dying, kits dying is all apart of the breeding, and if you can't handle it, then it's probably not something for you. ;) You also have to take into consideration what's best for the kits - and from your prevoius threads, it seems your concern for them is to always take the nestbox out, but leaving the box in unless in absolute dire situations, is always in the best interest of the kits. ;)

If you really are wanting to breed, you should do a lot of research. Pick up several rabbit books and start reading them. Go to shows and talk with breeders.

You will also need to figure out what breed you want to raise, and learn their standard so that when you go to pick stock out, you know what you're looking for - and breeders can help you with this too.

This isn't something that you should tread lightly into, so take some time and really think it over. ;)

Emily

Oh yes! I thought maybe the rabbits would bring it a little extra cash..but I've found out that every penny goes back into food, cages, and supplies..and if I happen to end up with a little extra money, I some how still end up spending it on rabbits..lol

In my experience, small breeds tend to be more difficult to raise than larger breeds. Larger breeds tend to be calmer and usually don't have as many breeding and birthing issues as small breeds.
I have heard that Mini Lops are a good breed to begin with and since they have lop ears and come in a ton of different colors, they are usually easier to sell.

Emily

Silver Star Rabbitry
Raising and Showing Quality Silver Marten Rabbits in North Louisiana.

http://silverstarsilvermartens.webs.com/
http://silverstarrabbitry.blogspot.com/

[email protected]

well i had known the majority of profit would go back twards them... i guess i shouldn't have put the post the way i did. i and my soon to be husband will have jobs that we will get well over a thousand for at the end of each month. i mainly want to run a rabbitrey because i love my bunnies

true.. idk it was a thought .. my bf says no anyeays... lol still want dwarfs

A friend and I have just started to breed, we will be buying 2 does each and 1 buck each from a very reputable breeder, we are more doing it to breed some really nice Mini lops and to show and for our children to learn and take part in a hobby. There is certainly a market for mini's here but I am incredibly fussy about who gets my babies, so I am pretty positive ther will be no money made, lol, but we have massive runs and houses for them, one lives inside and they are pets too so it's all good. i imagine all money will go back into the rabbitries though.

Latest posts

Back