Rabbitless In Colorado

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthUponWater

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Halley. I'm currently rabbitless at the moment. I decided that I miss having some sort of rodent in my house. I have cats, dogs, and reptiles at the moment. I used to own guinea pigs, but they grew old on me. I realized that I miss having a soft and cuddly that didn't bark or play NASCAR all night (I love my cats and dogs, honest :) ).

At the moment, I'm doing research and in the next few months, I plan on setting up for a rabbit. I haven't had rabbits since I was a toddler, so I'm basically new to the species. I see that they are similar to cavies, which makes me ahead of the learning curve.

I'm looking to getting a show quality Flemish Giant; probably a doe. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to be doing shows. I feel that mostly depends on the rabbit itself. I'm not sure yet if I want a junior or a senior (I think I'm using the terms correctly). The cage will start out as a C&C, or NIB is it? I all ready have the supplies left over from my guinea pig days. Obviously, I'll have to figure out how to make sure second levels and shelves will hold a Giant. Eventually, I plan on making a more permanent cage, once my future rabbit and I figure out what works best.

Litter box training is a must-do for me. I assume that this will generally be easy based on knowing rabbits go in one place usually. I do have a few questions about general bunny keeping and one or two about showing.

Is it possible to "walk" a rabbit, more specifically a Giant, on a leash?
Are wheels and balls dangerous for rabbits like they are for cavies? If so, is it for the same reason (spine doesn't curve that way)?
Do Giant need shorter shelves or ramps to get off the ground level, or can they jump up as well as smaller breeds?

Lastly for the moment, if I were to show a rabbit, what are the usual rules for spaying/neutering the animal? Is it like dog shows where the animal must be intact?

I hope to give a great home to a rabbit in the future. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this forum and enjoying new friends. It's nice to meet you!

Welcome to the forum! Everyone is super nice here and they try to help you as much as possible.

Rabbits make great pets but you do have to realize most of them aren't cuddly, they're more adventurers and would rather hang out around you than be held by you or cuddled. Not saying there isn't exceptions to that general rule though. Also, rabbits are lagomorphs, not rodents.

Rabbits are fairly easy to litter box train, however, our Flemish Giant doe will not grasp the concept, so she lives outside (she doesn't mind though, she'd rather live out there than in the house.) Just as a warning - I don't know if it's a trend with all Flemishes.

Flemmies (or any rabbit) can be harnessed, and they will take you for a hop, not the other way around. You'd need to look up what sort of harnesses are best for them. H-style harnesses are the best, but I think you might have to get a dog harness because they get BIG! Also, make SURE it is secure enough so they can't slip out. Remember, most of a rabbit's bulk is usually fur!

A rabbit (ESPECIALLY a Flem) couldn't fit into a wheel or a ball, and even if they could they wouldn't like it because they can't scurry, they just hop or walk.

Our Flemmie does not jump very often and when she does, it's not very high so you might need to make the shelves or ramps closer to the ground.

As far as the showing question, I'll let someone else handle that. I only have pet bunnies at the moment.

I hope you enjoy the forum and your future rabbit!

Hi Halley,

I've read that giant rabbits do bestwith puppy play pens as "cages", but you could probably make something similar with the cubes if you can get it two or three cubes high.

I've had my first rabbit for just a couple months. I also have a cat. They get along tolerably well. My cat has started giving friendly head butts back :biggrin2:

Hmm... I've been reading that Flemish Giants are one of the more cuddly, in general. Yours isn't? I've been reading that they will gladly lounge on the couch with you while you're watching tv. I have read that the males seem to be easier to train. I wonder why?

And thanks for correcting me on the rodent thing. I knew rabbits were something but couldn't think of the name and couldn't think of how to look it up. I'll have to remember it. Maybe say "lego morph" just to get me in the right direction. Lol.

As for the walking, I expect it to be like walking a cat: you stand there and let them go wherever they want as far as the leash stretches. Do Flemish Giants hop more when outside or is it more of a creeping along? I've actually never seen a rabbit walk now that I think about it. They're always either laying down or squirming away (pet store bunnies). Every time I try to imagine, I picture my deformed cat walking (or hoping seeing as one leg is about 1/4 too short).

How do you make sure a harness is tight enough on a short haired rabbit? Is it like on a short haired dog where you should be able to stick a finger between the harness and the animal's body?

So many questions. :)

Edited to add more response...

My cats and dogs have been around so many animal species, that they don't seem to see them any more. Except for the leopard geckos and dubia roaches. The cats got into my leopard gecko cage yesterday and I discovered that leos make noise. Needless to say the cats were yelled at. They did really well when I had guinea pigs. The mostly just wanted to lay on the fleece bedding and eat the timothy hay. The dogs wanted to help the pigs eat all the fruit and veggies. They even did great with the chickens when I had them. Then again, I guess they figured out the chickens wouldn't put up with anything and would peck without a second's thought. I'm sure a cat sized rabbit would be accepted and ignored most of the time. Now if only my dog Scrap would stop scaring horses, then I could bring her along on rides. Lol.

As for the rabbit cage, I'm pretty sure the storage cubes would be temporary because of the weight of the rabbit. I know they start to bend when Scrap is on them and she weighs 13 pounds. I'll probably end up designing a wood and acrylic cage with with screen. I'll have to think on it. I have decided that it will probably be 4x5 feet with multiple levels. Depending on what the rabbit seems to like of course.

Welcome! :D
To answer a few of your questions...
Rabbits shouldn't have wheels or balls. The only animals that I think those things are suited for are mice and hamsters. Nothing bigger than that. We just let our rabbit run around the apartment and we keep her in a big pen (exercise pen for dogs) at night or when we're not there. She's also litter box trained so we don't have to worry much about her going to the bathroom everywhere. It was very easy to train her and it only took about a week.
Many people do put their rabbits on leashes and take them outside. You should get a figure H style harness if you're going to do this. They are the safest. Usually the ones that are made for small dogs work good. Just train your rabbit on it first and get it use to it before taking it outside.
Also, rabbits are not rodents. They are Lagomorphs. :)

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Rabbits like people each have a unique personality. Some like to be held or cuddled and others just like to be in the same room and get an occasional pet. Litterbox training depends on the rabbit, some take to it quicker then others and some will pee in the litter box but poo outside the box.

For cage ideas using NIC cubes refer to the Housing section.

I would recommend that you visit your local animal shelter and spend some time with rabbits to get to know them. Rabbits live 6-10 years and are a commitment.

Regarding showing a rabbit they have to be intact.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

Well, they're more lazy but most rabbits aren't cuddlers. It's just their nature, being held makes them feel like a predator is getting them. Ours loves to sit beside you and be stroked but she hates being picked up and carried. She also doesn't sit in your lap. I've found most rabbits to be this way.

And yes, the finger through the harness should be about right, you just want to make sure they can't slip out of it when you're outside and they spook at something. That would be awful! Ideally, you wanna test it out inside several times and make sure all is well. And most rabbits hop, the only time you'll see them creep is if they're uncertain about their surroundings. It's sort of a creeping hop unless they get excited and start running around! Super cute when they binky, because Flems are so big their binkies are almost slow-motion :D and yes, you just kind of follow them around on the leash :p

for some reason, males just seem to be calmer and more gentle (as a general rule! Nothing is set in stone lol) especially after they are neutered.

I would be careful with the other pets around the bunny, let them know from the start it's a member of the family and no chasing or other behaviors are tolerated.

Cats (surprisingly) do well with rabbits generally, even ours who tried to catch our baby dutches when he first met them doesn't bother them now because we've made him scared to be around them lol! And the other cat wouldn't hurt them at all because he was humped severely by my boyfriend's first rabbit so he is scared of them too! It all depends on the animal, and I'd never leave them alone with the rabbit because your absence means they can do things without you knowing.... and you know what that leads too.

Each rabbit is different. Some will tolerate cuddling and will sit with you on the couch while others won't. Rabbits generally don't like to be held, but they can be taught to tolerate it. Even rabbits of the same breed and even same litter will be different. You need to decide what is important for you to have and look for a rabbit that will do that.
Rabbits to like to race around things. I have 1 that will run around the coffee table several times in a row, stop for a bit then do it again. You might not get that from a Flemish, but don't expect one to just sit there either.

NIC cages are great. However, I would not do a level with a Flemish due to their size. You might make a shelf with something else, but the grids are probably not the best. A pen is a better option for a large breed. I would make it 2 grids high as they can get out if it is less (some can get out of that too).
Litter training really depends on the rabbit. Some take to it much easier than others. It is good to start from day 1 so you can avoid them picking a spot before you try to train them. Put the litter box in and don't have shavings/litter in the rest of the cage, a blanket or pet bed can be used.

Rabbits can be trained to wear a harness and go for a 'walk'. Some will really like it and want to explore while others will just sit there. It can take time for them to get used to the harness and being outside. H harnesses are best, but it will be hard to find one the right size for a Flemish. I would get a dog one but not a step in one. The right kind has a hole for the head (with adjustable straps), a strap that goes around the chest (with the buckle) and 2 straps that hold these together (one on top and one on the bottom). You should be able to fit 2-3 fingers between the rabbit and the harness. Make sure that the legs can get caught in the neck strap.

For showing, the rabbits have to be intact. The rabbit must also meet the breed standard which you can buy through ARBA or a local breeders club. Rabbit shows are a bit different than a dog show. In a rabbit show, you put your rabbit into the judging boxes and step back. The judge will then take each rabbit out (all the rabbits in the class go up together and each rabbit has a separate hole) and judge them based on the standard. Once they are done, you can pick up your rabbit unless it goes on to a higher class (like it wins for the sex/colour/age and goes onto breed then best in show). The judges are not supposed to know who owns a rabbit so they can judge the rabbit and not be influenced by the owner/breeder. You can learn more in the Rabbitry and Showroom area of the forum. Rabbit and cavy shows are pretty much the same other than the species and standards. Many cavy shows are held with rabbit shows.

Rabbits are fun, but they do have their challenges. They are more like a cat or dog than a guinea pig. Be careful, they are quite addictive and you can end up with 2 or 3 or 4 before you know it.

Back