rabbit with pus in a deep cut

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaotilia

Reaction score
someone can help me with my rabbit?
it is a male with a small hole near the chest for an old bite.
it is more than one month that I treated him as my veterinary told me
wash the cut inside and outside with hydrogenum peroxide, one shoot daily of estreptopen (a kind of penycillin) i.m. 0,3 cc daily and some cloramfenicol in syrup by mouth 0,5 cc daily.
But after 15 days,:bunny19 it follows with the same pus, it eats, run , has strenght, only a little thin in the body, what more I can do?
thanks in advance
Anaotilia

I dont know if you could some kind of salve or neosporin on it? maybe call the humane society, they might know alternative treatments!!

someone can help me with my rabbit?
it is a male with a small hole near the chest for an old bite.
it is more than one month that I treated him as my veterinary told me
wash the cut inside and outside with hydrogenum peroxide, one shoot daily of estreptopen (a kind of penycillin) i.m. 0,3 cc daily and some cloramfenicol in syrup by mouth 0,5 cc daily.
But after 15 days,:bunny19 it follows with the same pus, it eats, run , has strenght, only a little thin in the body, what more I can do?
thanks in advance
Anaotilia
--achest wound/from a bite,,your dvm is correct as the wound must be cleaned out-,using betadine disinfectant,-not H2O2.(hydrogen peroxide)-and cloramphenicol (antibiotic)--never any penicillin--,,for-3-to-4 weeks-with probotics for the gi-tract-(flora)--feeding daily grasses,some-pellets,and water --watch the poops and cecotropes for improvement,,--sincerely james waller--:wave::litterhealthy:

Don't close it over, it needs to heal from the inside out. If you can get hold of some Betadine, syringe it out with that. And ring your vet, and ask for advice.

Anyone has used this antibiotic for rabbits?
In my country Dominican republic, veterinaries are not very expert in rabbits
and they don't give importance to them.
People don't use have rabbits like pets.
The good thing that very very few people eat rabbits.
The antibiotics we can get for injection for animal use are enrofloxacine, different kind of penicillin, gentamicin and tetracicline.

Enrofloxacin is an ok antibiotic. Penicillin is usually better. Here is some information on safe dosing of antibiotics in rabbits.
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

I also wouldn't want to use hydrogen peroxide on the wound but I'm not sure. I think chlorhex or povidone iodine, or even just saline would be a more gentle choice. Hydrogen peroxide has the potential to damage the healing tissue in addition to removing the dead tissue. Here is some info on abscess management. Medical-grade honey is becoming a more common treatment and it may be more available to you in a place where vet medicine isn't as up-to-date. The pictures are gross but if you're dealing with this abscess you've probably seen worse already.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Absc_treat/abscess_treat.htm

I'm curious how your friend is making out. I can tell you from experience that a povidone iodine solution (aka betadine) is farsuperior for wound treatment when applied correctly, instead of peroxide. Your standard otc povidone should be diluted with water to a quarter strength or so - using a higher concentration risks damaging living cell tissues rather than just infection. Sterile saline for wound irrigation is a must. Depending on whether the wound had tunneling, lots of drainage, etc., there are different options for advanced wound care as well. I had great success using hydrofera blue in tunneled wounds in my rabbits chest, and good results with calcium alginate dressings with silver as well. Both of these need to remain moist to work, and you should ALWAYS cover wounds with a secondary dressing (like a non stick telfa pad) to promote healing and prevent infection. Self adhering wraps (like coban) are perfect to keep it all together, just be careful not to bandage tighter than necessary.

Anyway, good luck!

Back