Rabbit with Gas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Remi's main diet is good quality hay (2nd cut timothy, and orchard grass) plus her veggies(1 cup of mix veggies), plus her oxbow pellets(1/8 cup), she rarely gets treats. Her diet is very strict, yet she still developed gas problems. The problem is that Remi's digestive system is very sensitive, this is why the vet thinks that she would benefit from a hay only diet, at least for awhile. Also, she has other problems that the vet still can't figure out.

Remi only eats dark green lettuce (no iceberg), cilantro, parsley, and all the veggies that are known to not cause gas. However, the vet thinks that I should cut in the veggies to see if that helps with her digestive system, also she is not getting any pellets for the same reason.

She is not getting probiotics, she is getting prebiotics to help the good bacteria develop in her gut. I'm guessing that the vet thinks prebiotics would benefit Remi more than probiotics

james waller wrote:
hamsterfeet wrote:
My mini rex has a very sensitive digestive system, so I have to be very careful with her. In the last few months, she has been suffering from gas and pain episodes pretty much every week; simethicone and belly massages seem to always solve the problem. This week however, the episodes have been happening everyday, so I took her to the vet yesterday. The vet didn't seem to find anything wrong with her, so I felt like the "crazy pet person", nevertheless, I kept insisting that she has been not her normal happy self. The vet suggested to remove veggies completely and see if she gets better. If not, remove the pellets completely as well. I have a feeling however that the pellets might be the culprit . But who knows, I'm just weening her off the pellets right now. Today she had no veggies and very little pellets (1/2 teaspoon), and she looks completely miserable, and uncomfortable. So I feel bad

Do you guys have any suggestions on what could be causing the gas/pain and sensitive tummies? Is there anyone with experience with sensitive tummy bunnies who could offer me some advice ?

I just feel very powerless right now, and don't like to see my bun so miserable:(.

Edit:I should add that I'm giving her meloxicam for the once daily for the last 3 days, and she seems to feel better after that, right now I'm just waiting so I can give her some (0.3cc /day).
---as you have stated,-diet is important,-herbivores reqiure 70% fiber-(timothy/orhard grasses),,some quality pellets,some treats and lots water,.that given-i would not cut out pellets-(vitamins-d3,etc.)-therefore in addition to 24/7 grasses,i would offer-(mini rex) less than 1/4-cup-pellets,-perhaps follow the guide lines on this link http://www.medirabbit.com -simethicone reduces gas buildup reducing pain,--rabbits are stress animals and hide pain to the point of dying--metacam is a-nsaid-( non steroidal anti-inflamatory drug)--follow the guide lines for both of these meds as well,(it is all based on weight),-did the exotic dvm examine her teeth/mouth/gitract,etc.--sincerely james waller:big wink:
Before this constant gas problem, Remi used to get 1/8 cup of oxbow pellets, but with her gas problem, the vet doesn't want her to have pellets nor veggies for a while in order to see if either the pellets or veggies are making her gassy. Also, she recently came down with another problem (blood with her poop) so the diet might not even be the problem. She has received a lot of tests: blood test, 2 poop tests, x rays, her teeth look wonderful and nothing seems to be wrong with her. So I still don't know what can be the cause of all her problems.

I have a mini rex that seems very sensitive in the GI department as well. I found this thread to be very helpful. I will try some of the tips and see if she improves. Thanks for posting all the great ideas. :nod

Latest posts

Back