Rabbit will only chew on soft things

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikku

Reaction score
My guy has not really shown an interest in hard wooden toys, blocks, etc for several years now. I buy him willow sticks and he nibbles on those from time to time, but he would much rather chew blankets into tons of tiny "confetti" pieces-he doesn't eat them as far as we can tell.
We used to keep towels in his enclosure for soft, reusable bedding, but stopped because he was turning them into swiss cheese and a few times I caught him ripping them and trying to eat the fabric like it was pasta. I got really worried about his stomach but he got lucky and was fine. Now I use very soft blankets, which he seems to prefer to sleep on and snuggle.
His teeth look fine to me, and he doesn't show any signs of his teeth bothering him; he eats just fine. I guess I'm just a bit baffled because no matter how many toys I make or buy for him (I use old toilet paper tubes stuffed with hay as well as wooden toys from the store), he seems uninterested and would rather just chew on fabric. I also worry that he's bored, but again I try to change things up for him and give him tunnels to run through, things to hop on and off, things to hide in, dig, chew...he just would rather lay around!

Rabbits have their own preferences and for the most part I've never been successful switching them. I've never had a house bunny that wanted to play with toys of any kind. They aren't interested in chewing on sticks or any of the other cute things people have for their rabbits. They look at me like " what am I supposed to do with THAT?"

Cardboard and phone books seem to be appreciated, or an old romance novel with the cover torn off. Junk mail is a HUGE favorite...or for that matter tax forms. Sigh...

They like a metal bowl or can they can throw around and make noise to alert me when they want something, and they appreciate things to climb on, they enjoy getting up higher where they can see things.

I have an exercise wheel that a bunny I recently lost used, my new bunny is a bit young, but I plan to train him to use it as well.

Oh, and they like chewing on seagrass mats and towels.

I have an exercise wheel that a bunny I recently lost used, my new bunny is a bit young, but I plan to train him to use it as well.
What brand is it? I want to get one for Theo, but I don't know which one to get.

Exercise wheels are not typically recommended for rabbits because it can hurt their spine by causing them to run in an unnatural way. It would have to be incredibly large for it to not distort their normal gait -- not sure how large but I'd guess probably more than 2 feet in diameter. I recall an RO member making one that was very large. I've never seen one available for purchase.

Providing plenty of room to run around is an easy way to provide exercise.

Back