Rabbit whiskers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serenz

Reaction score
I just trimmed their coat but I didn't trim their face. Can their whiskers be cut?

There's no need to trim their whiskers. They use their whiskers to help sense what's around them, so trimming them could be confusing to the bunnies.

Now with their coat trimmed. They have a large head and a small body cuz of the long fur on their face. Looks funny. lol

Hmm... Does that apply to all animal with whiskers? I know that you can't cut cats whiskers but dogs whiskers are often cut?

Personally, I've never heard of a dog's whiskers being cut where I'm from... perhaps for a medical reason, but not for looks. Perhaps it is being done for show?
(Mind you, they still clip ears and tails off dogs, so I wouldn't imagine that whiskers would be considered a big deal :rollseyes )

The anatomy of the whisker (as described in that link) is very similar in all animals, and performs similar function of sensing the environment.

There is an interesting discussion about whiskers: http://zooclub.ru/eng/cats/sost/3.shtml

We have a double mane lionhead who gets weepy eyes if we don't trim her face fur...I try not to trim her whiskers when at all possible. I do trim a few as it is unavoidable...especially the whiskers above her eyes and her eyelashes!!:shock:
But it would screw up her spacial sense if I trimmed them all. I have to live with a lionhead with a bullet shaped head...I guess there are worse things! LOL;)

I would say to avoid them if at all possible!

Danielle

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Personally, I've never heard of a dog's whiskers being cut where I'm from... perhaps for a medical reason, but not for looks. Perhaps it is being done for show?
(Mind you, they still clip ears and tails off dogs, so I wouldn't imagine that whiskers would be considered a big deal :rollseyes )

The anatomy of the whisker (as described in that link) is very similar in all animals, and performs similar function of sensing the environment.

There is an interesting discussion about whiskers: http://zooclub.ru/eng/cats/sost/3.shtml
Dogs whiskers are cut when grooming their coats, especially in breeds like poodles or bichons where the dogs are shaved. It would be impossible to shave around each whisker individually.

Latest posts

Back