Rabbit visits vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steph66419

Reaction score
How often should I be taking my rabbit to the vet for a check up?

Sometimes the vet tells you when the next check up is. I am not sure otherwise because in books, they only say'regularly'

I take my two in every year. If there's an issue of course I will take them in as it arises. If you have more than one rabbit and they are bonded, you have to to take both in together, so as not to break their bond. Also, some rabbits with chronic health conditions may have to go for vet checkups more regularly.

In some countries, rabbits need vaccines. I don't know how often (or if) they need boosters, but that would dictate minimally how often.

In the US, no vaccines are required. Unless there is an indication that something is wrong, I see no need to take my rabbits in for check-ups.

It's a good idea to do an initial check-up with a new rabbit. It's also good to go in if you suspect something may be wrong. But other than that, I don't see the need.

Just like for dogs and cats, a wellness visit is advised every 6-12 months. Definitely more often if you have health concerns. Regular vet visits are the best way to catch issues early.

I go every 11 months, mostly because I need to get Bandit's vaccinations updated. If you live in the USA vaccinations aren't given. But UK and Australia have them. But even without vaccinations, I'd be taking him yearly for a check-up. I think it's especially important for bunnies because of their constantly growing teeth, you have a better chance of catching something like that before it gets out of control, as otherwise you would only tend to notice it when symptoms started appearing.

Back