Rabbit vaccinated with old vial of vaccine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Reaction score
Well, I went to the vet today to get a RHD (rabbit haemorrhagic disease) vaccination. I know it is advised that vets use a freshly opened vial of vaccine and discard after use. But I didn't think to ask until after he vaccinated my rabbits if he was using a freshly opened vial of vaccine. Turns out it was an already opened vial a couple weeks old. They assured me it was ok... said the vaccine was still good the only reason they the say the shelf life is short is because of bacteria contamination but since they store it correctly no chance of that and the vaccine should still be potent. I've already researched it and found that the manufacturer's data sheet says discard any unused portion after 8 hours. They said the vial had been open and in a fridge for a few weeks. Is there any chance what they are saying is true? That the vaccine would still be potent and protect my rabbit?

Do you know the specific brand used? We don't vaccinate rabbits here in the US but vaccines for other animals come in different forms and those have different effects on shelf life. Some are in multi-dose vials and others in single-dose vials. Some have to be reconstituted and others don't.

Its Cylap by pfizer. Its sold in vials that contain 10 doses so some vets are keeping the vials until they are all used up instead of throwing them out. Here's a link to the the data sheet for it.

http://www.zoetis.co.nz/products/Cylap-Vaccine

On the data sheet it clearly says
Unused vaccine must be discarded within 10 hours of opening.

But if the vaccine will still work even though it was three weeks old I'd rather not put my rabbit through the trauma of being vaccinated again. He is prone to GI stasis and I'm afraid a trip to the vet might trigger it.

Since it's an inactivated vaccine and not one that has to be reconstituted, the only concern I can think of with storing the multi-use bottle is risking lack of sterility, but with good technique that shouldn't be a risk. I don't see why it would lose its effectiveness after one dose was removed.

Back