Rabbit urinating and drinking more

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambobunny

Reaction score
Hi my bun has been doing more wees and drinking more than usual but we’re struggling to pinpoint if there’s an underlying cause. He seems to do them when he’s most active in the morning and evening but doesn’t during the afternoon.
His other behaviours are completely fine and although he is drinking more than he used to he is in the higher range of normal water levels for his weight.
We’ve seen an exotic vet who analysed his blood and urine sample for underlying issues however everything came back as normal and not sure whether to put him under the stress of an X-ray to check for sludge where he would have to go under when he’s not displaying any other symptoms.

Here are a couple of photos - his litter tray was changed yesterday late morning ( you can see where he has urinated as the wood pellets have disintegrated) and his water bowl early this morning (which was filled to the top). As mentioned he won’t touch his water now until later today.

Can bunnies change their water and toilet habits? Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 9B98CEEE-115B-42F6-8C09-25879655EB7A.jpeg
    9B98CEEE-115B-42F6-8C09-25879655EB7A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1E2F4AC9-47C0-4447-817C-30721EBCFF09.jpeg
    1E2F4AC9-47C0-4447-817C-30721EBCFF09.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
When blood panels come back normal and there aren't any signs of kidney, bladder, or other health issues being present, there are some other possible explanations for a change in a rabbits water consumption.

If it's warmer where you keep him, that can cause increased thirst. Increased dry food and decreased fresh food can affect the amount of water intake. A rabbit over using a salt lick might cause increased drinking. Also any abnormalities with a rabbits pellets, like excessive and improper sodium levels. I know toxic vitamin D levels in pellets can also cause excessive drinking, though I would presume something would show up on a health and blood check.

Dental issues might also cause a rabbit to drink more, to soothe the mouth or because their eating less food due to mouth pain and trying to fill up on water instead. A rabbit eating less for other reasons may also cause them to drink more.

I had a new rabbit that was on limited pellets and free fed hay, but he wouldn't eat much hay, though I didn't realize this initially as he appeared to be eating it. Instead he was filling up on water. I noticed he was drinking an excessive amount and peeing a lot. At first I was worried it was kidney issues, but then I realized that he wasn't eating much of his hay. So I increased his pellet amount and he was fine after that.

Have there been any diet changes at all, in types or amounts of food being fed or consumed?

My little bunny goes through her entire 64 oz (1.89l) water supply every other day. When she had a bowl I was refilling it five times a day. And her litter is quite soaked by day 3.

I do think she drinks slightly less in cooler weather, but generally this seems to be normal for her.

When blood panels come back normal and there aren't any signs of kidney, bladder, or other health issues being present, there are some other possible explanations for a change in a rabbits water consumption.

If it's warmer where you keep him, that can cause increased thirst. Increased dry food and decreased fresh food can affect the amount of water intake. A rabbit over using a salt lick might cause increased drinking. Also any abnormalities with a rabbits pellets, like excessive and improper sodium levels. I know toxic vitamin D levels in pellets can also cause excessive drinking, though I would presume something would show up on a health and blood check.

Dental issues might also cause a rabbit to drink more, to soothe the mouth or because their eating less food due to mouth pain and trying to fill up on water instead. A rabbit eating less for other reasons may also cause them to drink more.

I had a new rabbit that was on limited pellets and free fed hay, but he wouldn't eat much hay, though I didn't realize this initially as he appeared to be eating it. Instead he was filling up on water. I noticed he was drinking an excessive amount and peeing a lot. At first I was worried it was kidney issues, but then I realized that he wasn't eating much of his hay. So I increased his pellet amount and he was fine after that.

Have there been any diet changes at all, in types or amounts of food being fed or consumed?
Thank you for your reply. Nothing else has changed in his diet or environment. He is most active in the morning and evening and this is when he eats and drinks and goes to the toilet more during this time.

He does eat a lot of hay especially in the morning and late afternoon/evening and we give him a handful of fresh veg and herbs as he has always had late afternoon. We have always feed him burgess excel indoor from when he grew into an adult and give him just over a teaspoon in the morning and evening.

I’m not sure if this is just normal for him now! The vet also checked his teeth and said these were fine.

Latest posts

Back