Rabbit trio?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbun.o_c

Reaction score
okay this is random but can you bond 3 bunnies together? Is a trio of the same gender alright? I'm thinking of adopting a rescue bunny and I already have 2 bucks! What should I do? There's not much knowledge and people adopting rabbits in my area so I'm feeling really pitiful to those poor bunnies being left alone without anyone wanting to adopt them so I'm just thinking of adopting a bun,,so is it preferably to get a doe or a buck for the trio gang?

Trios are a risk. Adding in a third rabbit doesn't always have a good chance of working out and can sometimes disrupt the original pairs bond. Not saying it can't ever work out. It really depends on the personalities of the rabbits. They could all get along and be perfectly happy together, or it could cause problems and then none of the rabbits are getting along. I do think though, that you are more likely to be successful with 3 males than if you were to try and bond in a female with two males. It seems like more problems arise when there are two males and only one female.

But there's really no way to know if it will work out until the third rabbit is neutered, you wait 8 weeks for the hormones to fade, then the bonding attempt is made. I've had a trio of two females and a male, and they got along fine, but I know of other's where the trios have ended up not getting along, or they initially got along then there was a falling out with one or all three rabbits. So just be aware that these are some of the possible outcomes.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Well, I think there isn't much definitve that can be said, it can work in some cases - or not in way more. Having 2 bucks getting along already is quite lucky.
In my limited experience with trios (tried only once, 3 does, didn't work out because of the individual characters) 3 is a difficult number, imho it gets easier with less or more. Neighbours here have 5 neutered bucks living happily together, when they accidentially got a doe instead of another buck that messed everything up, they are back to the 5 males now. A doe would definitly make things "interesting".

Oh thank you for the advice! My two bucks aren't bonded yet tho because they recently just got neutered and one of my buns hormones still didn't dissipate eventhough it's been a month basically? Since their neutering.So,should I bond both of them first or should I wait for the third bunny and introduce them altogether?Also can I ask? My buns have been litter trained ever since they were small and one of my buns ( the one with hormones that didn't dissipate yet) still pees a little outside of his litter box and the pee looks really uhm like a clear liquid? Yeah and both of them still poop outside of their litter box when they go out to play/roam around.. Yeah so is it normal or do i still have to keep litter training them to do it perfectly?ALSO ( asking for someone else ) haha sorry.. is it normal for bunnies who are in the bonding process to sniff or like lick or bite? the other rabbit? Cause I've seen them in the bonding process and one of the buns was smelling idk the other bun's back and started doing like bitting/licking? because the other rabbit flinched so I presumed the bunny kinda bit him and got up when both of them were laying down?I mean the bonding process that time was the fake grooming process where you lay both of the rabbits down and pet them....

Last edited:
also do I off or leave on the light at night when my rabbits sleep? I heard that rabbit can see in the dark that is if there is a ray of light or smtng but what do you think? Do you leave the light on or should I off the lights?

Rabbits are ok in pitch dark, in nature they live underground for a big part of the day.
Leaving the light on does have effects, not just rabbits (to get them into the mood for breeding leaving the light on is one thing to do) but also humans,personally the lack of darkness bothers me more than a lack of light. I think it's better to go roughly with the natural day-night cycle. A small nightlight so that you don't have to turn on the light to check on them may be ok, but that's just for your convinience.

Back