Rabbit Temperaments.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimoomin

Reaction score
From my experience with rabbits, I've found that the larger the rabbit the more friendly and "lazy" it is. For example Flemish Giants would rather bask in the sun then run around. However smaller rabbits such as the Netherland dwarfs are more lively and will run around and play all day like there's no tomorrow.

What have you guy found out about bunnies temperaments?

All of my buns are mini lops and they all have different temperaments and personalities.

I have one doe who is very feisty and loves to run and binky. The other two are lazy and love laying around.

Both of my bucks are energetic and playful :)

My mini lop is a lazy bum who likes to snuggle, never aggressive and very sweet/affectionate. She's a female.
My holland lop is a male- he's more skittish and grumpy, but if you let him come to you on his terms he's very affectionate and sweet and loves to climb on you and give tons of kisses. He is very active compared to the mini, even though they are only 6 months apart in age.
I think temperament depends on individual bun, however certain breeds do have certain tendencies.

I think the smaller rabbits do tend to be more high energy. But there are plenty of exceptions.

There was a thread here on RO awhile back (couldn't find it just now) about mini-lops. Many mini-lop owners discussed how unusually feisty, mischievous and demanding are their mini-lops compared to other breeds they've had.

My current mini-lop fits that. She is the absolute queen and lets us lowly servants know exactly what she wants, when she wants it.

I have a doe who can be very mean but active and friendly sometimes.
I have 15 does who are lazy
I have 8 does who are active
I have 8 bucks who are very active aswell😊

I have been reading that everywhere, and it makes sense. In all animals there seems to be this law that the smaller they are, the more high strung (that's not exactly the best term but I can't think of a better one ATM). Each creature has it's own personality of course, it's just a common behaviour among size groups. That's why I'd really like my next bun to be a French Lop, they are known for being lovable, loyal, cuddle buns, and I loooove lop ears.

All three of my buns- a Lionhead mix girl, a Holland boy, and a Mini Rex boy- are very, very energetic. They're all crazy about agility/hopping and I'm starting to feel that their 12' by 12' room is too small. My first two rabbits, both standard Rex girls, were extremely laid-back, gentle, and cuddly. I can't imagine either of them going over one jump, let alone an agility course.:rolleyes:

Yeah I use my bucks to for agility and jumping😊😂 and I agree the smaller they are the more energetic they are

Has anyone noticed anything about the difference between rabbits with upright ears and rabbits with lopped ears?? From my experience the upright ears are a lot more energetic than the lops.

And what about the more fluffy bunnies? (Like angora and jersey wooly)

I've noticed that! I wonder if the ears are what make the difference or if its how the breed has been bred to act like?

I Have too! My Netherlands and stuff are heaps more energetic. Where as my lops are a littles less energetic... It's a mystery hahah

My dwarf lops have always been a lot lazier, dirtier and more laid-back than my netherland dwarf, who is fairly skittish, a lot more athletic (you can barely believe they're from the same species, when you see the graceful arch she makes while jumping, compared to the "potato sac" approach of the lops), and distrustful. It kinda match the "standard" for those breeds. But I'm not sure if it's related to the breed, considering that my nethie is female whereas the lops I've had were all males. I've always put down her being more clever and graceful to the fact that she's a girl more than her being a nethie XD.

My bucks are more active then my girls so I think it's just the way they have been brought up and the amount of space they have to exercise. As well as the amount of things they can do like if they have toys or not

Latest posts

Back