Rabbit Supplies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kissysquirrel

Reaction score
Hi Everybody! This is my first post on this site as I am a brand new member. Not sure if I am in the right section or not but I hope so. I have 2 rabbits....Mr. & Mrs. Rabbit and although I have had them 3 yrs. I was just wondering if I am feeding them the right kind of pellets. I buy them from a feed store near me but since they come in a brown paper bag and I'm not sure of the crude content, etc. They seem to be the only kind they love though. They also eat lettuce (in the evening), Timothy and/or Alfalpha Hay, Pieces of apples and carrots. Thanks for any input.

Hey, welcome to the forum! :welcome1 :hello

I'll move this to our Nutrition and Behavior section, you'll get the best responses there.

But if you find some great suppliers in your area, please list them in this section, LOCATIONS!

:thanks:

sas :bunnydance:

thank you so much for posting my question in the right place. I love your emoticons. Especially the bunnies@

document.write('/images/emoticons/mrsthumper.gif');
mrsthumper.gif

Oops, not sure why the javascript is showing when I posted my emoticons. And not sure why I am seeing 2 of the same ones. Maybe if I refresh my page.....javascript:emoticon(':pray:',%20'images/emoticons/pray.gif')

What browser are you using? That's odd!

And sorry you haven't gotten a response, I think the post got buried!

What breed are your rabbits and how much do they weigh?

Do you have pics? (We LOVE pics as much as the emoticons). ;)

That diet could be pretty fattening, and fat bunnies can develop internal problems like fatty liver disease among other issues.

Do they live indoors or outside? What kind of exercise do they get?

What area do you live in? (And can you put that in your profile?)

The feed store pellets are probably alfalfa, and they can be high in protein and low in fiber. If that's all you can get, no problem, but it's better to only feed very small amounts and increase the hay and veggies.

I'd also cut out the alfalfa hay and stick to just timothy (and lots of it). If you get bales of mixed, that's more difficult, but the less alfalfa the better.

All veggies are good (almost) but as wide of a variety as possible is best to get the needed nutrients. I give mine five different veggies at a time (you should try for at least three), and most are free because I use carrot tops, beet greens, radish and celery leaves; the outter leaves or cores of lettuce, cauliflower and cabbage heads; broccoli, parsley and other stems, etc, which can all be fed to rabbits with no cost. They get my leftovers or I ask the produce stores I shot at to set aside some of those things destined for the compost. They have always complied. :)

Hope this helps!

sas :bunnydance:

Unfortunately mine get very little excercise. They are in a huge cage BUT it is hard to catch them to get them out. It can be done but it's usually a chore. I feel really bad and wish they had a fenced in yard. They are 3 yrs old and not sure the breed. They were given to me as an Easter gift. LOL I had never had rabbits before. Fortunately I don't always find alfalfa and usually its regular hay in the morning and Timothy in the evening. I give them pellets, carrots, apples and hay in the morning and lettuce leaves, Timothy haye and pellets in the evening. What kind of pellets are the best health wise? Oh, this site opens up in the Firefox browser although I usually use I.E. I will try to update with pics when I have time. I wish the day had 50 hours in it. hahaha! Oh, for some reason when I give my rabbits cabbage it loosens their stools so I'm afraid to give them any.

Let me get this straight- you aren't sure of the feed you use? Well, as long as they are healthy feed shouldn't matter as long as it is GOOD. You should be able to tell because the pellets should never be a dull brown...almost yellow color, usually they should be darker or greenish. If you can see obvious chunks of corn- you're asking for trouble too. Also, the feed should smell sort of sweet and have very little dust at the bottom of the bag.

Hope that helps some.

The pellets are kind of shiny and mostly green (with a faint bit of yellow in them). Their smell is kinda maybe like tobacco? Not sure exactly. So you're saying they should eat as little of a corn product as possible. I have been buying this feed for 3 yrs. One time I bought some from another feed store but they did not like it at all.:disgust:

Your tips was very helpful. Thank you very much.

To be honest, it is my opinion that the less corn in a pellet the better- Purina actually came out with a new feed... I believe it's called Fiber 3 (?) that has no corn... I think there may be another brand of feed that has no corn also- more input would be valuable here as I don't have many types of feed available here.

Welcome to the forum Kissysquirrel. :wave:

If your bunnies are 3 years old, try to keep alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets at a minimum. Use them as treats if you can. Would you be able to ask the feed store what the main ingredients for the bulk pellets that you buy?

Your bunnies may like what they eat now, but in the long run it might not be good for them. If you do change pellets, do it slowly by mixing in the new ones with the old pellets they normally eat. Gradually reduce the amount of old ones until there is only the new ones left for them to eat.

Do your bunnies appear normal, fat or skinny? How about the ears? Does the ears stand straight up or do they flop down? What colour are they? Since you call them MR& MRS Rabbit, are they male and female?

hi and welcome. dont know what part of the world you are in so this might get lost in translation:rollseyes i feed my rexes pellet food and a selection of fresh veggies with hay of different lengths. i am blessed with a very-bunny vet. the shelves of my supermarkets and pet supplies are filled with what he calls the museli mix - the sort with corn and dried peas. he recommended not to feed this to my bunnies. have followed his advice and have two very healthy free range bunnies.:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back