Rabbit suddenly passed away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kobie20

Reaction score
Hi, I'm after some advice.
My sisters rabbit this afternoon has suddenly died, she was 5 and was let out her hutch today to run the garden as normal. We went in the garden to find her down the side of the hutch but had died.
Does anyone know what could of caused this as it seems very sudden?
We have cats and dogs so they havent bothered her, she was absolutely fine running about the garden, her diet hasnt changed.

I’m sorry.
Was she vaccinated? We’re there any other symptoms? Think before she died, was she eating, drinking, pooping? It could be that something scared her, or she got caught in something. But you couldn’t really be sure, if they’re weren’t other symptoms.

I’m sorry.
Was she vaccinated? We’re there any other symptoms? Think before she died, was she eating, drinking, pooping? It could be that something scared her, or she got caught in something. But you couldn’t really be sure, if they’re weren’t other symptoms.

She had her vaccinations a couple of months ago. Eating and drinking like normal, absolutely fine in herself. Really eager to get out the hutch this morning to run about so it's totally out the blue. I'm thinking maybe she could of ate something in the garden?

Sorry for your loss.
Such things happen, could have been a stroke or heart attack, or something else entirely, maybe caused by a heart defect or some other preexisting condition. Rabbits hide their problems too well, when we notice something's off it quite often is already an emergency, if we notice anything at all.

Poisoning imho is as likely as being hit by lightning, considering that she was used to the garden. That site linked above list things stuff that are perfectly fine for rabbits, but not for dogs, it's a dog site. Medirabbit is more specific, but anyway.
As long as their food isn't moldy (can happen pretty quick with pellets when not stored properly, like leaning the bag against a cool wall can cause mold) I think toxins are pretty unlikely the cause.

Sorry for your loss.
Such things happen, could have been a stroke or heart attack, or something else entirely, maybe caused by a heart defect or some other preexisting condition. Rabbits hide their problems too well, when we notice something's off it quite often is already an emergency, if we notice anything at all.

Poisoning imho is as likely as being hit by lightning, considering that she was used to the garden. That site linked above list things stuff that are perfectly fine for rabbits, but not for dogs, it's a dog site. Medirabbit is more specific, but anyway.
As long as their food isn't moldy (can happen pretty quick with pellets when not stored properly, like leaning the bag against a cool wall can cause mold) I think toxins are pretty unlikely the cause.

She does like a munch on the garden plants but their all rabbit safe. My sister is very picky with food, fed the same vegetables depending on season, Timothy hay and pellets, all stored in a shed. I guess it's looking like she may of just died for no reason which is incredibly sad. I do feel for our other bunny now 😔

Hi, sorry about your loss, honestly I can't guess what was the reason since she was vaccinated and it sounds like your sister took really good care of her, and there were no changes in her diet as well and she's not new to rabbits as well as I understood she was 5 year old. By the way, what breed was she? Some breeds live shorter than others, French lops usually about 6-7 years, some other breeds live longer up to 10-14 years but you never know what underlying conditions could be there as rabbits are well known for hiding their health problems.

Sorry again it is so hard to lose a friend especially if she was with you for 5 years.

I had a rabbit die suddenly as the result of a sting from a wasp or bee. I don't know if all rabbits are so sensitive to stings or if this particular bunny had an allergy. My son was around when it happened, that's how we knew the cause.

Hi, sorry about your loss, honestly I can't guess what was the reason since she was vaccinated and it sounds like your sister took really good care of her, and there were no changes in her diet as well and she's not new to rabbits as well as I understood she was 5 year old. By the way, what breed was she? Some breeds live shorter than others, French lops usually about 6-7 years, some other breeds live longer up to 10-14 years but you never know what underlying conditions could be there as rabbits are well known for hiding their health problems.

Sorry again it is so hard to lose a friend especially if she was with you for 5 years.

Thank you, everyone else too.
She was a lionhead.
I'm guessing she may of just been hiding that she was ill as nothing else makes any sense. I guess the only positive is she would of had a very happy 5 years but that doesnt seem like much now, especially to my poor sister. Fingers crossed out other bunny isnt to badly affected by not seeing her anymore.
I've always said having a pet is the best thing in the world but with it comes times like this.

That is really tough when a pet dies suddenly. I am so sorry. Being in one of her favorite spots sounds like a nice way to end life. Hard on you though. Big hugs. All pets can hide symptoms.

Hi, I'm after some advice.
My sisters rabbit this afternoon has suddenly died, she was 5 and was let out her hutch today to run the garden as normal. We went in the garden to find her down the side of the hutch but had died.
Does anyone know what could of caused this as it seems very sudden?
We have cats and dogs so they havent bothered her, she was absolutely fine running about the garden, her diet hasnt changed.
Could it be RHDV2? I know they say it is in New Mexico, TX, Colorado.

Back