Rabbit Stockings?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Well you know, here I have been searching onlinefor weeks now for present ideas for my rabbits and I realizedsomething, the pet toy market is over-run by cats and dogs and it irksme to no end!

So here I sit thinking well I should just email some pet companies withsuggestions about expanding rabbit and other pet markets, too. Forexample, take the same idea of the cat and dog 'stockings' (those toyfilled stocking shaped bags they sell at Christmas) and make rabbitones.

But before I go off and just up and email everyone I was kind ofwondering how many people might actually be interested in this sort ofthing and would buy them if they were around? If no one but meisinterested, I might as well forget about emailing them, lol.

Laura

I'd be interested. I reallyhate how they have very little things for rabbits. For example, I justwent to petmeds.com and they only have medicine for dogs, cats , andhorses.They should sell the good brands of food like they dofor cats and dogs. And they should get medicine for them to and doresearch on stuff before they get it.They should treat smallmammals or at least rabbits like dogs and cats. AND THEY SHOULD STOPSELLING BUNNIES AS SNAKE FOOD:(!!

The people I'd email are not thepetstores. I'm planning on going directly to the company that makes theproducts and the companies don't sell the rabbits.

I'm hoping that by emailing them I may be able to establish the pointthat there is a large and nearly untapped market with other animals. Iknow I probably wont make a difference, but I act on the spur of amoment thing and I just want to be able to say, "at least I tried."

I think it would be a great idea. When I firstgot Mr. Wiggles it was hard to figure out what toys he would like. Theydon't really manufacture toys for rabbits, I think theyalsoneed to focus on repackaging toys to be marketed forrabbits. Imagine all the people out there that don't have access to theinternet, they miss out on a wealth of information and ideas and maynot think to give their rabbit a bird toy.

A little off the topic, we went to a Hallmark store tonight, like we doevery year, to buy each other special ornaments.They have alittle collection right now of holiday decorations that have littlebrown bunnies playing in the snow. I was so in love, but since I boughtmy husband a $32 :shock:<yikes>ornament, Ididn't indulge. I wanted to share with everyone here because I knowsomeone will be interested.

Take care,

Megan

I think I'm a nut! At least I am a bunny nut! Ijust politely emailed Hagen with my suggestions and gave the forumwebsite for reference and testimony that it is a desired product. I'mreally hoping to make a break through but I'm not sure they're going tolisten to one person or even bother coming on the forum to check outthings. Honestly, companies could make a fair bit of money off thesethings.

*nepo* wrote:
For example, I just went to petmeds.comand they only have medicine for dogs, cats , and horses.Theyshould sell the good brands of food like they do for cats and dogs. Andthey should get medicine for them to and do research on stuff beforethey get it.
Most of the stuff that breeders use to treat their rabbits is the samestuff used for cattle and horses. My Tractor Supply people know me whenI walk into the cattle and hores area. They ask me what the rabbits areneeding to be treated for and ask me what I think they should have.Their opinions are just about the same as mine. :DI havestaff who ask me when I come in the store after treating a rabbit onhow that rabbit is now. :DGotta love the staff at TSC's insmall communities!

~*~Amanda~*~

*nepo* wrote:
AND THEY SHOULD STOP SELLING BUNNIES AS SNAKE FOOD:(!!

Snakes need to eat too, if it isn't a bunny, it will be a rat or a chicken. Something has to go, it's the way it is.

But yes, bunny toys are hard to find, Jetts likes anything that makes noise though.

i wish along with good bunny toys they`d market*good* bunny treats! i hate seeing the seed or dairy combos out therewhen it`s not good for da buns.. or that food with the weird seeds andcolored pieces in it..

Llama wrote:
*nepo* wrote:

Snakes need to eat too, if it isn't a bunny, it will be a rat or a chicken. Something has to go, it's the way it is.

But yes, bunny toys are hard to find, Jetts likes anything that makes noise though.

I have a friend who has expressed interest in getting a rabbit. I'veshown her all the buns on this site, and she thinks our babies are justsooooooooooo cute. Yesterday after work, we went to a few pet storestohold some rabbts and talk about them. I made sure that bothof us left our purses in the car ;). I talked to her abouthandling rabbits and food and playing with them...etc etc etc.

At any rate, we went into one store. I asked to see the rabbits. Theguy led us to the back of the store. There, in rubbermaid bins withwire over the top, were dozens of rabbits. The man picked one up andgave it to me. It was a little bitty white rabbit. Its fur was dirty,its tail was all matted. And yes...they were ALL snake food.

All I can say is....I'm glad I left my purse in the car.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
I think I'm a nut! At least I am a bunny nut! I justpolitely emailed Hagen with my suggestions and gave the forum websitefor reference and testimony that it is a desired product. I'm reallyhoping to make a break through but I'm not sure they're going to listento one person or even bother coming on the forum to check out things.Honestly, companies could make a fair bit of money off thesethings.

MyBunnyBoys,

Maybe you could post the email address and anyone who'sinterrested could also email them. The more emails they get, the morelikely they are to take notice.

Lanna

Ok well for one, I went to theHagen website and found the'Contact Us' link. From there I sent in my request.

The other company that I found that was selling those sort of stockingswas TheKyjenCompany,Inc. They can bereached at this email:[email protected].

I'm going to do more searching around for other companies that sellrabbit toys, but I tell you, it's not easy finding email addresses formost companies. A lot of the companies don't seem to be on theinternet. I have emailed PetsMart with a request for contactinformation of a few companies and I hope they'll get back to me.

Elf Mommy wrote:
Llama wrote:
*nepo* wrote:

I have a friend who has expressed interest in getting a rabbit. I'veshown her all the buns on this site, and she thinks our babies are justsooooooooooo cute. Yesterday after work, we went to a few pet stores tohold some rabbts and talk about them. I made sure that both of us leftour purses in the car ;). I talked to her about handling rabbits andfood and playing with them...etc etc etc.

At any rate, we went into one store. I asked to see the rabbits. Theguy led us to the back of the store. There, in rubbermaid bins withwire over the top, were dozens of rabbits. The man picked one up andgave it to me. It was a little bitty white rabbit. Its fur was dirty,its tail was all matted. And yes...they were ALL snake food.

Of course it is sad that they keep feeder animals in poorer conditions,but that also to animals that are sold as pets. If I ever had to feed asnake I would personally buy the already deceased animals that arefrozen. Less pain for everyone. But some snakes will not eat dead food.I had four mice that I picked out from feeder stock. Just so you knowthat I am not insensitive.

Can't they make snakepellets or something? I just think its sad seing the cute bunnies inpetstores and knowing that they are probablygoing to end upin another animal's stomach. I kind of feel bad if a snake doesn't eattoo, I take back what I said about snakes.But that how natureis. One time I saw a lizard dying and felt sad because Icouldn't do anything.

MBB, you could also try emailing Petco if you didn't do so already.

A friend sent my two buns a Rabbit Stocking eachlast Christmas. I had looked everywhere for them, but without luck.However, this year I've found some on-line in the UK on e-bayso there may be some in other places- Jan

I can't buy stockings like that around here andmy parents wont order online so I need pet stores to carry those thingsif I want them

[align=center]********************************************[/align]
I recieved a reply to my email earlier today and this is what it said:

[align=left]Dear Laura,[/align]

[align=left]Thank you for taking thetime to write to us about developing new toy markets. I willbe passing along your suggestion to our product development departmentfor review. We appreciate all feedback and new ideas andthank you again for writing in. Have a HappyHoliday!
[/align]
[align=left]Sincerely,[/align]

[align=left]Michelle Nolde[/align]
[align=left]The Kyjen Company[/align]
[align=left]Customer Service[/align]

[align=center]********************************************[/align]

Elf Mommy wrote:
Llama wrote:
*nepo* wrote:

I have a friend who has expressed interest in getting a rabbit. I'veshown her all the buns on this site, and she thinks our babies are justsooooooooooo cute. Yesterday after work, we went to a few pet stores tohold some rabbts and talk about them. I made sure that both of us leftour purses in the car ;). I talked to her about handling rabbits andfood and playing with them...etc etc etc.

Its too horrible. I can't even read about this stuff. If snakes need toeat other animals, then they should live in the wild. At least thereits fair for the animals.

AnnaS wrote:
Elf Mommy wrote:
Llama wrote:
*nepo* wrote:

Its too horrible. I can't even read about this stuff. If snakes need toeat other animals, then they should live in the wild. At least thereits fair for the animals.

Our dogs and cats eat other animals. They are just processed into theirfood. We don't personally have to deal with the once live food.

When I was in seventh grade, I took Biology.During the course we had to dissect a variety of animals. Although itwas unappetizing, I did it, and I even believe I benefitted from it.Another thing we had to do during the course was "adopt an animal."This teacher had put together quite a menagerie of creatures in hisclassroom. He had everthing from snakes to rats to birds to an iguana,gerbils, mice, fish, etc. Each of us had to pick an animal that couldbe fed and weighed each day (snakes and the iguana were excluded fromthe exercise).

At the end of this little section, the teacher asked the class, "Whichone is your favorite rat?" The class chose a chocolate brown and whiterat (yes, I can still remember the exact colors and patterns on thecritter). He then took that rat and fed it to the snake, making all ofus stand around the tank and watch. ...Honestly, I think I closed myeyes.

Now, I know that it's a bitter fact of life that we all live off of thelives of others (except for those who have chosen to be vegetarian),but it wasa hard reality for an 11 year old to have to watchthat happen to a creature we had become attached to over several weeks.It seemed to me that the teacher might have taken that a step too far.

As far as the bunnies I saw, I think it was only hard for me becausethey are rabbits, and I love them so much. I don't have as much problemwith the rats being fed to the snakes. I'm not that fond of rats(although if I ever had one as a pet, I might feel differently). As ateacher, I had a Pacman frog in my classroom.I also raisedmice to feed the frog. I can do it. I just didn't like the reality ofit, holding that tiny white ball of fluff in my hands, knowing it wasto become snake food. Would I have rescued the bun? Well, probably not,considering my husband's current stance on adding another animal to thehousehold. But mannnnnnnnnn was it tempting!

:D

Latest posts

Back