Rabbit still not eating right after neuter..3days on.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not force feed unless the rabbit is not eating at all. It is really stressful to force feed. What I would recommend is 1) calling the vet and asking for pain meds, because the pain may be causing this, and also asking what they think about it, 2) administering a probiotic to balance his GI flora, which may have been out of whack due to the surgery and gut slowdown--you can give ProBios (available at farm stores), Bene-Bac (available at pet stores), or even human probiotics (of the lactobacillus family), and 3) offering a very tasty drink that is also good at rehydrating the bunny via correct electrolyte balance, called pedialyte or dioralyte. It is manufactured for infants that have diarrhea and doesn't have the high sugar content of other electrolyte drinks like Gatorade. It comes in a number of flavors that bunnies find tasty, or you can get unflavored and add something like a drop of cranberry juice, apple juice, or even grenadine.

Just gave him his nightfeed and hes eating it. :) he ate some carrot and when I was going he went back for lettuce. Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow and he'll have most gone!

They gave me something called 'recovery' which i think is the same as critical care.
Lisa, I actually haven't. He did get out yesterday for a bit as I didn't close it right. Only time hes been out is on my lap but not running about. Will let him out for a stretch tomorrow!

I stopped handfeeding him the food today actually. As he was just hating it. All I did was handfeed the medicine the vet gave me (.5ml of something i dont have the name) The vet said its to get the gut moving. One of the other buns was on this in the start and he started eating soon after. Coopers been on this since yesterday.

They were at the vets yesterday. They were even going to see him today and maybe keep him tonight if he didn't improve.
I asked about pain meds then and she said he doesnt sound like hes in pain, hes in great mood and doing everything else normal. Thinking back I should have insisted on it as i supose it would do no harm anyhow.

Will let you know how he gets on in the morning.
Thanks everyone :D

Woke up this morning to see my beautiful boy had an empty bowl.. I'm trilled! He ate all his pellets and veggies - even a new type of lettuce he never had before!

..And hes waiting for his morning veggies it seems!

I couldn't be happier.

Thanks everyone :D

hase213.gif

Back