Rabbit size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binkylife

Reaction score
I adopted a rabbit that was 2.5 years old in February. I know he wasn’t a baby because I had seen him in October waiting to be adopted. When I adopted him he was a ball that fit in my palm and was severely overweight. It was the first time I saw a mini Rex rabbit be ‘mini’. Months later he has doubled in length (same size as my other mini Rex). But he is now less round and more shapely like a rabbit should look.
My question is, can rabbits stay small if they are left in a small cage? I get the impression he never got to run around till I brought him home (he’s now a house/free range bunny). Or could it be his diet?

picture because why not.

Attachments

• 9ECCF5D8-01C2-4B35-8985-AD70B4FE576F.jpeg
    9ECCF5D8-01C2-4B35-8985-AD70B4FE576F.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 8
I adopted a rabbit that was 2.5 years old in February. I know he wasn’t a baby because I had seen him in October waiting to be adopted. When I adopted him he was a ball that fit in my palm and was severely overweight. It was the first time I saw a mini Rex rabbit be ‘mini’. Months later he has doubled in length (same size as my other mini Rex). But he is now less round and more shapely like a rabbit should look.
My question is, can rabbits stay small if they are left in a small cage? I get the impression he never got to run around till I brought him home (he’s now a house/free range bunny). Or could it be his diet?

picture because why not.
I don't know but just wanted to say that your rexes are beautiful! 😍

Rabbits only grow in size during their first 4-6 months of age (unless a giant breed). A small cage won't keep them small.

If he could fit in the palm of your hand, then he was quite young. I suspect the one you saw in October was a different rabbit with the same markings.

Here is a site that gives a general idea of what rabbits look like at different ages.
Baby Bunnies Days 12-16

Do you know how much they weigh now?

Pip weighed 4.5 lbs when I brought him home. He is now 3lbs. I confirmed with the sanctuary that he is 2.5 years old and the neutering certificate confirms that. It’s literally the first time in thirty years of taking care of rabbits that I’ve seen such a difference in size for an older rabbit.

I think I'm a little confused. It sounds like you are saying he was severely obese (4.5 lbs) but could fit in the palm of your hand? Now he is larger but weighs just 3 lbs??

How long did the sanctuary have him? If they had him long, he should not have been obese - unless they have no clue how to care for the animals. Yet I don't see how 4.5 lbs can fit in one's hand.

I wonder how they determined his age unless they had him from a baby? (ie. where did the shelter get him?)

I agree that it all seems rather unusual.

Latest posts

Back