Rabbit searching!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallenRabbit

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I found a rabbit on the internet! It is a 2 year old female rabbit, spayed too! she is playful and friendly. She isn't used to be picked up. Once you pick her up she is fine though. I need to be able to pick up the rabbit before this week ends! The rabbit likes to come outside for only about an hour a day then goes back inside on her own. She loves cilantro, kale, and strawberry tops! Looks like I got to start growing vegies.
She is VERY litter box trianed. She comes with food,hay, litter, and treats.
Just wanted to keep you all updated!

My question is...
If the hutch isn't finished before we need to pick the rabbit up ( the owners are moving) where do we put the rabbit. I have a dog crate with rust on the wire opening part and on the higher windows (on the sides). The rust can come off (I tried this morning). Is it bad if I can't get ALL the rust off? Will it be harmful?
Could I put... like a piece of plywood over the door so she doesn't come in contact with the rust?
I could maybe put a tarp over the door..
Ideas?
Tonight I plan to spend my whole night trying to get it off! Any materials needed would be helpful!
I'm trying to get a steel wool thing to scrub the rust off with baking soda paste or vinegar.

I guess I have missed that your mom finally said yes to a bun?

Anyway, congrats on finding one. She sounds like a sweetheart. It's a big decision to get a bun at your age and have an outdoor bun and all the responsibility that goes with that

As far as the rust, depending on how bad it is, I would think that a bun eating rusted metal canNOT be a good thing so preventing her getting to it is important. How long would she be in the temp cage? Would she be outside in this?

A tarp she might chew but you could try that. If she can't get to the edges she might leave it alone.

Plywood could work but is it treated? Bunny will chew on wood. Also wood absorbs moisture and urine too.

I think alot of this will depend on how long she will be in this cage......

Well she said:
"You can get one! NO MORE or the first one will go away.."
"It can't come inside!"
"You need to pay for the hutch."
"Ask your dad too!"
I need to ask my dad tonight, he will usually say what did your mom say? Okay that is fine.

Her name is Petunia. She sometimes responds to her name...

She will be outside in the dog carrier untill we finish the hutch. I'm not sure how long though. I need to ask my dad, go to the supply store, cut the wood, start building. I think I can have the hutch finished in two days. The run will prob. not take very long.

Well the owner said you can get her: Today and thursday. Sunday I can pick her up early or after 5 PM.

I'm thinking by sunday it will be finished and I will have the supplies.

Well if you can get the hutch finished by Sunday and not have to worry about a temp cage than i would go that route. Wait to pick her up til Sunday.

Good luck and keep us updated!

If the rusted area is just temporary, just fasten some cardboard over it. And If you can get all you can of the rust off, that should be ok, too. It depends on how much chewing on metal Petunia does, but frankly I don't think rust is any worse than removing enamel on metal. Give her enough other things to chew on & they should keep her busy.:party::great::party:

I asked my mom today about a rabbit. She said "show your dad the drawings of the hutches and ask if he will help you build one."
I explained all the stuff about the rabbit I want. She said interest and smiled. At the end she said, "Talk to your dad."
I think it is a yes. :D
No bringing it inside tho! SO I will be freezing water bottles, tile, all that junk. I will also buy a fan to place outside for the rabbit to cool down in :)
OH and rust update! Most of it (75 %) came off the front bars. The one side is a little rusty. I could put pictures up if you want. I will continue to scrub the bars tomorrow. If it isnt safe, I will put cardboard on it and cut holes in it for air. He will only be in there when it is really hot (I call it a cool room) or when we are building the hutch.

I'm going to give the owner $50 for the rabbit. She didn't want anything but I have to! :)

My concern with her being in a dog kennel outside is q lot of predators can reach inside the slots. Even if they're not able to kill her that way, they can sure as heck torment her and scare her. Plus, most raccoons cab figure out how to open a sliding latch like that.

Is there anyway you could keep her in the garage until the hutch is finished?

Well I can put up the photo of the carrier. It has bars on the sides (at the top of the sides). At the door there are bars. To open up the carrier you have to have both hands *(one on each of the bars) and you need to pull up for the first bar and down on the second. I don't think a racoon could be able to do that. I plan to put it on a higher place (table) while she is outside.

http://www.petedge.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=46472&cm_mmc=Google-_-Pet%20Supplies%20PLA_Pet%20Supplies%20Crates%20Mats-_-{creative}-_-Pet%20Supplies%20Crates%20Mats_Exact&gclid=CJ-Tps-s57ECFWoZQgodXiAA9w

It is that carrier but it has a different color. It is also smaller than the one I have.

Photos OF THE CARRIER:

DSCN39912.jpg

DSCN39902.jpg

DSCN39932.jpg

DSCN39942.jpg

DSCN39952.jpg

DSCN39962.jpg

Is it unsafe?

re: tarp, I use a waterproof all-purpose tarp under an x-pen set-up for my bunnies and they can't chew through it

the way that carrier is, though, I wouldn't recommend trying to cover up the rusty parts because that's going to take away almost all the airflow :S

Good luck with the cage and let us know what your dad says. :)

Oh see I don't think that rust looks too bad. I think she'll be fine.

However, I still would encourage you to finish the hutch and pick her up on Sunday :) that way you don't even have to worry about it.

Ya, I will try to get her then. She would rather I pick up the rabbit on Thurs. but I won't have it finished by then. So I'm going to go ask my dad to help build a hutch, buy supplies tommorow for a rabbit, try to build the hutch, and then get the rabbit before it is too late.

Good Luck with Petunia, we expect pictures! Work on the rust as my buns lick the wire on their cage. It is the Petco 2-door dog crate, nothing real yummy looking. I'm betting that when you start the construction, your Dad will help.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back