Rabbit refusing to take medication ALL OF A SUDDEN

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezling

Reaction score
So my bun has been sick for the past 4 weeks or so (runny, snotty nose, sneezing, etc.).
He's been on oral antibiotics for the past 2 weeks and last Saturday his antibiotic got changed as the type of bacteria he has was resistant to the first type.
Anyway, giving him the medicine with a syringe wasn't much of a problem... until last night. He's just refusing to take it and he seemed to like it before (it's flavored).
He keeps struggling, jerking his head, kicking, and I'm really scared of hurting him. I tried wrapping him in a burrito but even that is not stopping him from moving his head. We managed to give it somehow (with some spilling) with the help of the husband, but I'm terrified of trying it again tonight.
Any idea as to why he's refusing to take it all of a sudden when he actually seemed to like the taste before?
Also, could I do anything to make it easier to give it to him? (I need to continue giving it for another 2 weeks and the thought of this is stressing me out already.)

Sometimes rabbits just decide they don't like something, and that's the end of easy medicating. You could try putting it on his greens, but then you have to make sure he does eat it and gets his medicine. You could mix it with plain canned pumpkin(not spiced) or something like that, that is ok for rabbits. You'll want to try whatever you are going to mix the medicine with, first before adding the meds, to make sure it's something he'll like to eat, then mix in his meds with a little bit of whatever mushy food you are using, and syringe it to him, hopefully without having to pick him up or anything.

I'll usually burrito wrap difficult rabbits. You have to wrap snuggly so there isn't any struggling, then I'll hold the rabbit gently but firmly, at the back of the head so it can't pull it's head away. Always try to see if he will take it willingly first, without having to pick him up, or wrap him up. It can be really tricky when our buns don't want to cooperate, but it's just something that has to be done for their own good.

if you can't trick him into eating it, then you just have to force it. I've done it before - when done properly, there's no risk to the bunny. the key is simply to hold the rabbit securely enough that he can't jerk or struggle, then quickly slip the syringe into the gap between his front and back teeth (pointing it sideways so he can't inhale any) and squirt it in - the quicker you can get it done, the better.

Thank you for the replies!
The thing that puzzled me is that he really seemed to like the medicine before. He'd drink it from the syringe like a little baby and seemed it even want more.
I will try to make romaine lettuce wraps and put some of it in it and see if he eats it (that's the only veggie he's on at the moment, and I'd be a little scared about the pumpkin since he's never had any). If not, I will just have to force it I guess. It just breaks my heart to have to do that and I'm terrified that I might do something wrong and hurt him.

Hey there, my bunny was neutered a few weeks ago, what the vet suggested was to put the medicine into some yoghurt or baby food (obviously banana, carrot, or any fruit and vegetable that is safe for bunnies) He didn't like yoghurt and carrot baby food didn't work but he loved the banana baby food. Only mix it into about one teaspoon of baby food :)

I wouldn't use yogurt due to bunns being lactose intolerant... fruit or squash flavored baby food (preservative free), is ok to use though.

it does suck to have to force meds, but it's for his own good. just hold him securely so he can't hurt himself and follow up with nose rubs and a nibble of his favorite treat and all will be forgiven soon enough ;)

So sadly, the trick with the lettuce wraps didn't work. It's like the minute he smells the medicine, that's it. He refuses to take it and he really likes romaine lettuce. Had to force it onto him again. :( Is it possible that the meds have gone bad and that's why he hates them all of a sudden? Because I'd understand if he refused them right away but that wasn't the case.
The med is Septrin and it is banana flavored.

Is it only a small amount that you have to give? I used parsley to trick Bandit into taking some medicine once. I know you said the trick with the lettuce didn't work, but if the amount of medicine is small enough to put on a small piece of lettuce then you could try tricking him with it another way. I put Bandit's medicine on a small piece of parsley, I then offered him a different piece of parsley that didn't have medicine on it, once he had smelled it and was just about to take the first bite, I quickly switched it out for the parsley with the medicine on it and then it was too late for him to refuse :p You have to be just right with the timing though, he has to be done smelling, but you've got to be quick enough to switch before he takes it.

I have one rabbit that absolutely, downright refuses to be held. (I've had many rabbits but this one is like none other.)
Obviously this became a problem when she had to take oral medicine for snuffles. I used the tiny bit of mashed banana trick. I mushed up a half-inch slice of banana, mixed in the medicine, and put it in a dish.
At first it took her several minutes to decide to eat it, but after that she actually began anticipating her "treat."
This worked really well since I KNEW she was consuming ALL of her dosage.

I had cherry flavored meds that Cally wouldnt take from the syringe. Putting it on his greens was really messy since it was so sticky... So I coated his pellets with it! Worked every time. He is on another round of meds and since it is a concentrated solution instead of a suspension, the vet recommended applesauce, apple juice, or organic plain yogurt. I had some applesauce here and he loved it! I did a tsp of applesauce and the .2mL of medicine. However, a tsp was too much. He didnt eat it in one setting. So Im going to try a half a tsp applesauce tonight! Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.
So my main problem is even when I put the syringe in his mouth he starts snorting and jerking his head. I am trying to burrito him but I am not sure if it's not tight enough or if I'm doing something wrong.
He was completely fine when we were syringe feeding him Baytril and then was also fine for about 2 days on Septrin (I would hold him but he would just take it himself and I didn't have to jam the syringe in there).
Since he's pretty small his mouth is also small and I don't want to injure him. I tried watching videos on youtube but the bunnies they do the demos with are always so calm and well-behaved and they take the meds right away. Uggggh.
I am not sure how well putting it on pellets or other food would work as he seems to hate the smell (or at least that's what I figured). So when I put it in the lettuce wraps I made he didn't eat it either.

Lettuce can't absorb medicine nor disguise smell (imho). The banana has a strong smell- especially ripe ones. Unsweetened apple sauce might work too.
I actually preferred this method since a wiggly bunny tends to get most of the medicine on his fur or on the 'burrito' towel.

I would suggest trying the mashed banana. Buns usually LOVE banana.

Back