Rabbit Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxbrea151

Reaction score
Hello, new here and I have a few questions about rabbit ownership. We used to own a Flemish Giant-New Zealand cross rabbit, but I'm out of pratice. I might be getting the rabbit in the new year, and am trying to get everything ready and bought first so I don't have to worry.

the supplies that I do have right now are;
-An large dog crate
-an covered cat litterbox (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3601462&lmdn=Litter
-an hanging food bowl
-under cabinet store thingy (for hay)
-crate pan
-fleece bedding
-5-7 water bowls and bottles
-NIC cubes
-cardboard
-wood sticks
-hides
-horse pellets
-timothy/orchard/meadow hay
-Kiln-dreid softwood shavings (not for bedding, to put under horse pellets for more absorbancy)
-cat cushion
-grooming supplies
Things I stil need to get:
-Timothy-based rabbit pellets
-puppy pen
-baby gate
-first aid kit

Do I need anything else? The dog crate is going to have an pen added to it, until i litter train the rabbit. I'm in the process of making levels in it becuaseit is so tall. I'm keeping the rabbit in my bedroom, and until it is litter training it will only have the pen and crate, and outdoor exercise every day. When I trust it and rabbit proof the room better, then it will only be crated when no-one is home (most of the day it will be let out). I'm putting shelves in my room for it to hop up on.
How do rabbits normally get along with other pets? I do have guinea pigs (in an NIC cage), a dog, and 2 cats. The cats are used to other pets, and the dog used to live with an free-range rabbit. When I completly trust it it will be free range.

Rabbits are such individuals it's hard to plan any more than you have already. Some are climbers, others aren't, etc.

If there are wild rabbits where you live, I'd be careful about your rabbit getting an infection or parasite from their droppings. I treat the area with food-grade diatomaceous earth to help prevent that.

oh! litter box grids = awesome!

this thread shows a great litter box system... the first part gets a little complicated w/tools and such, so you may or may not be interested, but about 1/3 of the way down the first page it shows how to make a grid out of lighting diffuser. I have one in each of my bunns' litter boxes - it keeps 'em from having to stand in poop/soiled bedding and also prevents digging in the litter box, which can make quite a mess.

I use the wood pellets for litter too. They are VERY absorbent. I don't think you'll need any shaving underneath them at all. I believe the pellets are more absorbent than the shavings anyway. -just FYI ;)

Are you planning on adopting an already fixed rabbit? or are you planning on getting a baby? If there are rabbit rescues in your area, the fixed rabbits are often already litter-trained. And if already fixed, you can see a clearer indication of their personality when choosing your bun. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I love getting rabbits from rescues and not having to deal with baby litter-training, hormones kicking in, neutering/spaying vet visits, etc. :p

I'm in complete agreement. Just not having to deal with neutering is enough of a reason if you're not a breeder. You can find shelters/rescues at adoptapet.com or petfinder.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can also build a carrier yourself out of NIC grids :D

DSCF01632.jpg

The carrier I have is VERY large, my 15.5 inch beagle fits in it. i wouldn't let the guinea pigs and rabbit meet, they are on an entirely different floor. The area in which I live in is not treated with anything, and I have not seen any rabbits.I'm planning on fostering the rabbit at first to see how I and the others do with it. I don't want to make a commitment I cannot keep. This way I can also get to know it more. I'm planning on getting it from here; http://rabbitrescue.ca/, the adoption cost is around 150$, but they are normally litter traine, fixed, have all their needles,and are somewhat socialized. I might get it from the local humane society or http://londonontariosmallanimalrescue.weebly.com/. i don't know yet.

Latest posts

Back