Rabbit Proofing Small Rooms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessicalovesjesse

Reaction score
Okay everyone, friday is the day.
I'm getting my new rabbit. :yahoo:
My excitement level is about a ten.
I just need to go to bed, and hopefully work flies by tomorrow.
We are getting a Flemish Giant. I had originally wanted a velveteen lop, found a breeder I liked and everything. And out of no where my boyfriend told me he really wanted a Flemish Giant. So we started looking into breeders, and by some luck found one.

Anywhoosle.
Onto my question i'm blabbing...
We have a very large walk-in closet (more like a small room) that we would like to give him free run of when I'm working, and when i'm home he could have run of the closet and our room. I need a few tips on bunny proofing. Like how do you make it so they can't chew baseboards? We rent and that wouldn't make the landlord to happy. :p Don't wanna take advantage of his good graces! Also, I'm thing about using Pippin's superpet giant as a "home base" for the new bun. Just leave it constantly open and put his food/water/litterbox in the superpet. It would also give the appearance of him being "caged" for the landlord. Would it be to small for that even? Or would that be perfectly fine? Also, what size litterbox should I buy? Biggest one I can find? I'm not sure what I'm expecting size wise. But I imagine a Flemish being larger than my already large cat.
And cords in our bedroom, we have A LOT of cords from my boyfriend's computer. Could I just put a NIC gate-thing around them to prevent him from reaching them?
Also. My hamtard Bobby lives in the closet on a shelf kinda low to the floor so he can have free run of his wheel and not bug us. Would it be fine for him to stay in there?

Oh boy so many questions! I need to start bun-proofing tomorrow morning, and out room is currently a wreck so i'm a bit frazzled. Thanks in advanced!

<3 Jessica

definitely need to cover all cords. For our computer, I boxed everything in behind 1/2" pine 1" by 6". The baseboard is tougher--we tiled the room and used tile for base or else you have to make it unreachable. I also cut 1" PVC pipe in half an screwed it down over cord--lite and phone. Bunny are masters at finding the error of your ways, too. Like, don't leave your chair out at the computer as it's a shortcut to the printer, phone, and sound system cords. Good luck.

Not sure if I understand the baseboard thing.
I can't alter the house, since we are renting.
I was thinking I could maybe line the sides with NIC panels?

What I meant is you can cover your baseboard with boards or anything else that will block them off from the teeth of doom. We solved the problem with reconstruction, but, that's not an option for you.

What I meant is you can cover your baseboard with boards or anything else that will block them off from the teeth of doom. We solved the problem with reconstruction, but, that's not an option for you.

You could always try a carboard "frame" around the room to cover the baseboards. Most of my rabbits wouldn't even bother it probably, but if yours decides to, you could contruct a wooden border too. :)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
You could always try a carboard "frame" around the room to cover the baseboards. Most of my rabbits wouldn't even bother it probably, but if yours decides to, you could contruct a wooden border too. :)

Ohhh cardboard is a good idea too.
That would be easy to set up.

Wow! You're definately putting your new bunny into a disaster waiting to happen, lol!!!! My favorite for blocking off cords, baseboards, etc. is the wire shelving. You can buy it in different lengths at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and it's pretty cheap.

my bunnies dont touch the baseboards..but some will if their bored and have nothing else to do..sooo u need to stimulate him with toys and other things to chew on...i use apple tree branches ..they love em..and lots of hay keeps them occupied.and is so good for them...also keep in mind that when bunnies find a way out or find something that is a no no and u try to block it off or cover it..they will obsessively keep trying to go back there ..they KNOW they did it once so i can do it again ...so most important thing is to never let them find it to begin with....u sound like ur being very cautious already,,,ur gonna be a great bunmom..good luck and have fun with ur Flemmie....i have 2 of them and they are AWESOME!!

slavetoabunny wrote:
Wow! You're definately putting your new bunny into a disaster waiting to happen, lol!!!! My favorite for blocking off cords, baseboards, etc. is the wire shelving. You can buy it in different lengths at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and it's pretty cheap.

Not entirely sure what you mean by that seeing as I would never put my rabbit into a situation I deemed unfit I don't see it as a disaster waiting to happen.
Everything will be blocked off and good to go by then.
I had everything safe for Pippin, but we have moved since he passed so...

And I've decided to go ahead and use the cubes for the cords and everything, seeing as I have a large surplus of them.:)

my bunnies dont touch the baseboards..but some will if their bored and have nothing else to do..sooo u need to stimulate him with toys and other things to chew on...i use apple tree branches ..they love em..and lots of hay keeps them occupied.and is so good for them...also keep in mind that when bunnies find a way out or find something that is a no no and u try to block it off or cover it..they will obsessively keep trying to go back there ..they KNOW they did it once so i can do it again ...so most important thing is to never let them find it to begin with....u sound like ur being very cautious already,,,ur gonna be a great bunmom..good luck and have fun with ur Flemmie....i have 2 of them and they are AWESOME!!

For everyone who doesn't know.
I owned a rabbit for 11 years of my life.
I'm just looking for input on how to keep my walls extra safe because I've never free-ranged.
I'm aware of toys, and how they are persistent.

I'm VERY excited to get my new baby.
Tomorrow! Eeep!

jessicalovesjesse wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:

Not entirely sure what you mean by that seeing as I would never put my rabbit into a situation I deemed unfit I don't see it as a disaster waiting to happen.
Everything will be blocked off and good to go by then.
I had everything safe for Pippin, but we have moved since he passed so...

She's teasing you ;) - my bunny would go crazy trying to snip all the wires, so for somebun like him, it really would be a disaster waiting to happen.
Hence, the lol!

Please don't feel defensive; I think people are simply trying to offer you some useful suggestions :)

Congrats on getting a Flemmie - you've made everyone here very jealous :D
Looking forward to pictures of the new arrival

jessicalovesjesse wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:

Everything will be blocked off and good to go by then
I was making a joke.

For the cords. I lift mine. Easier for me since I use a pen style around my desk, but you can use screw in hooks or the stick on ones depending on the landlord's desire. You can then bundle cords with zipties and hang them from the hooks. Keeping them out of reach worked/works very well for me. Bunnies all want to be electricians.

The baseboard thing is tricky. The NIC panels will probably work, but I would suggest pegboard. It is cheaper and can be cut to width in 4' lengths (HomeDepot will cut it for you). $15 for a 4' x 8' sheet.

Latest posts

Back