Rabbit Proofing my Apartment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyKat

Reaction score
So here it goes;

View From Kitchen:
14754_151852_500000000.jpg

View from Door:
14754_151853_350000000.jpg

View of under cage:
14754_151855_320000000.jpg

Close-up of Couch
14754_151854_090000000.jpg

View: Behind couch with pillow blocking area
14754_151856_410000000.jpg

View: Behind couch no pillow:
14754_151857_310000000.jpg

Caught in act:
14754_151858_050000000.jpg

View: Space between Couch and Aquarium Stand
14754_151902_040000000.jpg

See my next post for descriptions.

Special Notes:
  • Smudge does not chew or show any interest in any of the white cabinets or anything in the kitchen for that matter.
  • No real problems with the TV stand and area, got that blocked off well.
  • Smudge likes to sleep on the computer chair and lick it, but no chewing
  • There is plastic white fencing held by green painters tape that runs along all floor boards in booth rooms.
  • White cage/fencing looking thing along the wall behind her cage is actually her play pen. It stretches from behind the TV all the way to the behind the white cabinet past the computer chair. This is protecting the cable wire and extension cord that run the length of the wall along with a baseboard electrical heater.
  • She shows no interest in the aquarium stand and area.
Main areas of concern:
  • The couch, she will not leave it alone. She tore a hole in the far corner which I tried to cover with fabric, she tore the fabric off three times in a week and a half. I then filled the area with a pillow which she is already tearing apart. She then climbs into the couch and chews on the inside.
  • The ottoman, she likes it, it is pressed against her cage to allow her to walk in and out of her cage when I am home.
  • Under her cage, she has taken to chewing the bottom of her cage.
Other important things:
  • She is allowed to roam in the area for about 1 hour in the morning and 3+ hours at night.
  • When I am not at home she remains in the cage.
  • The play pen is set-up when I am away for a day or two and can only find someone to check on her for a few hours instead of stay with her.
  • When play pen is set-up she chews on the edge of the carpet. It is hard to see in the pics but I have taped over this area with packing tape.
Let me know if you need more pics or clarification of anything.

I'd take cage off the legs, this way she can get out of her cage on her own when supervised or make her a ramp for her.

Give her toilet paper rolls filled with hay, maybe get her hay mats to chew on.

Susan:)

It looks like a 2x4 across the front of the couch would fit well to keep her out from under it. Then NIC pannels at the sides to pregent her from getting behind it.

Agreed that taking off the legs so she can get in and out on her own would be a great solution there.

Edges and corners of carpet are very attractive. I give my kids a square of carpet sample that they can dig to their hearts content and that helps keep them from going after the regular carpet. Perhpas something like that, mats, or a blanket/towel they can bunch up would help. Rabbits seem to love to arrange the floor to be just right, so by giving them things to scratch/arrange they will leave the things alone that get them yelled at.

Perhaps also offer a cardboard box or two that have a little access hole? I would suggest beside the couch. That way she has a bolt hole close to the couch where she wants one (hence trying to make the under side of your couch into a burrow) while the access to under the couch is blocked. It keeps everyone happy.

Latest posts

Back