Rabbit poos used in the garden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sox

Reaction score
I have heard that people use their rabbit's poos in garden. I would like to hear more about it. Can you use it immediately, or need to dry them out etc? Mum reckon they are very strong and will burn the plants.

Do you guys use it in the garden? How? With all the poos I have to clean everyday, maybe I could even make money out of it and be a millionaire!!! :laugh:

well 4 me I use pine pellets in the litter box and I'm not about to pick through them to get the poo so I just shack the whole litter pan into my flower beds, then I take the hose and spray over that, I douse it real gud to make sure the urine is diluted and the pine pellets dissolve. Dunno if this is "right" but so far so gud.

My neighbor asked me for our rabbits poo....he didn't know Simon had passed on. He did ask should we get a new bun could he have the poo. He has a garden out in his back yard. I told him I use litter pans with 'Yesterdays News' and I wasn't going to be picking through it...he said fine...so I guess from now on I will bag the content of the pans and let him have them...lol

Better then stinking up my garbage cans :)

At the moment I am throwing the entire used bedding onto a large still somewhat uncultivated bank to create some decent top soil. It breaks down rather well and the plants are thriving. It doesn't look all that neat though and I am not sure if I shall keep it up over winter.
In my old house I didn't have enough space to compost all the bedding material and we pay for the rubbish by weight. I ended up advertising for it and got about a dozen replies and someone took bags and bags away for their garden. Maybe I should charge for it next time:biggrin2:

Right now when we clean cages we load it up on a tarp in the back of my moms truck and a farmer around the corner takes and sometimes they put it in his garden or with his cow manure. I don't know what exactly has to be done though, I know some people mix it with their compost and mix a good fertilizer and some good soil in and that works

I did this a lot this summer, as I had a community garden plot. I did two different things, as putting the poos directly on the plants won't burn them, but they don't really break down so well by themselves.

I made "poo tea" which was accomplished by soaking poo pellets in water in a pitcher for several days. This breaks the pellets down and you get a slushy, smelly, dark liquid that is GREAT for pouring on your plants to fertilize them. I separated the poos from the litter by putting a grid, called plastic canvas, over the pine pellets in the litterbox. My bunnies are also not very good about pooping in the pan, so daily I would go around and collect stray poops. It was a pre-bedtime ritual, and we called it being the poo fairy. LOL Silly and strange I know.

I also put used litter, poo, coffee grounds, hay, kitchen scraps (of the vegetable kind), etc in a worm bin on the porch. This was a big rubbermaid tub with a wire grid placed in the middle to divide it into two compartments. I bought a bunch of red worms at the bait store and put them in there. I'd put the fresher stuff on one side, and the idea is that once they worms are done eating up the stuff on one side, they go to the other, so you can harvest nice compost worm casings. I found that the urine-soaked sawdust didn't break down as quickly or smell-lessly as I'd like, so in the future I think I will only put hay, poo, coffee grounds, and veggie scraps in there. I think the pine litter contributed to killing my worms. If you have a more conventional compost pile, such as a large backyard tumbler, etc, I bet the litter would be fine. The way a worm bin works is different from a traditional compost pile--it relies on worms to break down the composted stuff. Traditional bins rely on heat and can get quite hot, which is why you can compost things that potentially contain harmful bacteria (such as egg shells) in them. Plus the rabbit urine is very basic, and I think the worms didn't like that.

Rabbit poo doesn't burn if applied directly, and it is 2.4% nitrogen, 1.4% phosphate, and 0.6% potash, for a NPK ratio of 2.4:1.4:0.6, which is very good.

Latest posts

Back