Rabbit poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea__xo

Reaction score
Hi, theo is 9 weeks old and on a diet of hay and rabbit pellets, I do give him veggies occasionally, yesterday I gave him 2 carrot sticks (he loves them).. today I have noticed his poo is soft and not the usual small hard poops this had only happened today as last night his poops were normal for him. I am thinking this is because I gave him the carrot yesterday but I would just like some reassurance..
He's such a good bunny, he licks me all the time and sleeps on me and follows me around and I do hope he's not feeling poorly :-(
Any help or advice much appreciated,
Andrea and theo

1412717672326.jpg

Also wondering if when theo sexually matures (male) will he still be loving towards me or get moody and aggressive?

He's too young to give veggies to--our vet says to intro them at 4 months and keep sugary treats to a minimum--that would be fruit and things like carrots. Usually when they become sexually mature they also become teen monsters. Neutering seems to calm most back down.

Nancy has pretty much covered the details. A 9 week old bunny is too young for sugary treats. In addition to that, when you do introduce new foods like greens and treats (fruits, carrot etc) you need to do so in very small amounts. That means, starting off with a small piece of carrot about the size of your fingernail and waiting 24 hours to see how your bunny reacts. If there are no negative changes in poop etc, you can give another bit the next day.

With the change in poop today, restrict his food to only his pellets and as much hay as he wants, encouraging hay eating will provide lots of fiber and help get his gut back in the proper balance. Make sure he's drinking plenty as well, he should be fine. :)

Thanks for the advice I didn't know that and won't give him any veggies until he's older, his poo is more firm today and he has been drinking plenty, he's got more hay and pellets too.. what age do they sexually mature?

Around 4 months for a small-breed rabbit, 5-6 months for the big breeds. You'll be able to tell from the stinky pee, humping and possibly aggressive behaviour. Or if he lets you hold him and check his boy bits, he can be neutered as soon as the testicles show, as long as he's not still too small for the vet's comfort.

Carrots are very sugary and even when he's older he can't have too much. Think of it as candy for bunnies. I don't know how big your carrot sticks were but imagine the size of his stomach - you don't want to fill it ALL up with sugary candy!

Back