rabbit play dates?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny34422

Reaction score
So someone in one of my facebook groups made a post about taking her rabbit to this monthly rabbit playdate event where there are like 10-20 rabbits hanging out in someone's fenced backyard. I thought "well this has to be a bad idea right" since rabbits don't do play dates like dogs, can be aggressive towards other rabbits they're not bonded to, and because of rhdv concerns.

Then one of the women who runs these meetups says that it's safe, the owners are always circling around to supervise and stop any bad behavior, the worse they've had are some humping and chasing issues, and that the rabbits love it. So could a play date actually work out? Timothy has never been outside, I've always been terrified of bringing him out because I don't want him catching anything or somehow getting away, but these play dates intrigue me lol. I feel like he gets lonely but my parents don't want a second rabbit so I thought once he's neutered, maybe we could attend one and see how it goes. Probably a bad idea right?

I sure wish it was a good idea. Beyond the risk of fights or injury, the RHV2 has recently become very widespread in the US and vaccines aren't available in many places yet. A rabbit that gets this virus has very slim odds of survival. Sadly, rabbit playdates are not a very good idea, especially right now.

Yeah I definitely wish they could do playdates haha! That's what I thought too, they have a meetup event this weekend but I didn't sign up because of this. Plus it's an NYC event, I saw that NYC had an outbreak with 11 rabbits last year I think? and the vaccine's not available as far as I know so I definitely don't want to take the risk. Thank you!

Terrible idea even in the absence of a viral outbreak. Most bunnies hate being taken out of their familiar environment and there is no point whatsoever to introducing them to other bunnies unless you are going to bond them.

If done right, those events seem to work. For some rabbits better than others and not at all for some, I guess, but since it's done by people who aren't careless morons, so what.

I got the impression from those videos that the bigger the group the easier, they are social animals with a wider repertoire than just bonding.

I wouldn't do it if RHD and Myxo vaccination isn't mandatory, and all rabbits spayed/neutered.
If I had a rabbit that would fit that criteria and would be fine being quarantined from the others I would think about attending, but that is pure speculation since that isn't going to happen here.

If done right, those events seem to work. For some rabbits better than others and not at all for some, I guess, but since it's done by people who aren't careless morons, so what.

I got the impression from those videos that the bigger the group the easier, they are social animals with a wider repertoire than just bonding.

I wouldn't do it if RHD and Myxo vaccination isn't mandatory, and all rabbits spayed/neutered.
If I had a rabbit that would fit that criteria and would be fine being quarantined from the others I would think about attending, but that is pure speculation since that isn't going to happen here.
You have to wonder about why people are doing this. I don't believe there is any benefit to the bunnies (and a lot of potential for harm) and people do it just for their own entertainment and that seems wrong to me and in the same category as 'taking bunny for a walk' in a harness (get a dog), dressing up bunny or taking bunny out in a stroller (get a doll). They are not dogs, they are not toys, they are not accessories. Domestic rabbits have the same instincts as European wild rabbits. They stay well away from strangers and when they don't it doesn't end well.

You could always go and observe the meet up. See how the rabbits interact. I think it would be great for a rabbit to have outdoor space to run but not with that many rabbits. Two times my rabbit lucy has been in her X pen outside and wild rabbits have come up to her...I know not the same as domestic but they are all rabbits. At first this one wild rabbit would be outside about 5 feet from my rabbit. She seemed very interested and would lay there intently. She did this for several days. I thought it was cute. My rabbit was oblivious. The other rabbit came over and bit a chunk off my rabbit's ear thru the fencing! I was surprised how aggressive they really can be. Another time 2 wild bunnies came up and were very interested in Lucy in her x pen. They could care less I was 12 feet away. They kitty type boxed at Lucy thru the fence and kept coming back. To them she was in their territory. Lucy was 4 times bigger than they were. They can be really aggressive and territorial. Think what might happen in a group. I think younger rabbits might be easy to have playdate on small numbers and big spaces and get used to things. For instance some rabbits might be okay with going in a car or to another yard or being around other rabbits but most probably are not.

Latest posts

Back