RABBIT PEED ON...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbyBear

Reaction score
ME! :grumpy:

Okay, so let me explain... I have a 4 1/2 month old (not fixed- yet) Holland Lop. He doesn't exactly LOVE to cuddle, but if you pick him up and put him on your lap and pet him, he is a happy camper and starts to fall asleep instantly. However, you have to take the initiative. He won't.

Today was different though, my boyfriend and I were sitting on the couch watching tv while he was running and binking around the living room when he came over to me on the couch and jumped up. First he was directly on my lap nudging my hand to pet him, so I did. Then he got up and was next to me on the couch. He then proceeded to walk across my boyfriend's lap (so he pet him as well). Then he came back over onto my lap, facing my boyfriend this time and was just sitting there. Then all of a sudden I felt something warm... and he had peed on me! A LOT. It was the strangest thing and I was so confused.

Can anyone explain to me why this happened? He is a litter box trained bun and has never peed outside of hisbox before, except one time on his pillow bed (but that is a whole nother story, lol).

He probably really had to go. If you hold a rabbit for too long eventually it will have to pee. Thats true with even potty trained rabbits. Could he get back to his litterbox if he needed too?

Its also possible that hes going through his adolescent phase where their litterbox habits go down hill sometimes and they start marking their territory. Is he neutered? He might have been trying to say that you were HIS human.

I wouldnt worry about it if he doesn't make it a habit. Animals make mistakes and have to go sometimes. My perfectly litter trained rabbit peed on me once because she was sitting in my lap for too long and didn't have access to a litter box. I felt bad, that was my fault.

He totally had access to his litter box! Which is why I was like, "Uhm?!" lol

I was thinking it could be a territorial thing since he was like deliberately looking at my boyfriend when he did it, but Idk. I am HOPING it doesn't become a habit :expressionless

funnybunnymummy wrote:
My guess is it was a hormonal/territorial thing. Probably time to make an appointment to get him neutered. ;)

Rue
Looks like it huh! Haha. I just need to find the best place. About how much is it to get a rabbit fixed?

Cost for spay/neuter vary depending on where you live. My vet requires a wellness exam before she will do the surgery so that may be something you will need to do as well.

Neuters are generally cheaper than a spay. I would guess you could get your bunny neutered for $150-$200 tops. Maybe even cheaper depending on your area.

You can find a list of rabbit savvy vets in your area here http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11620&forum_id=9

Not sure if he goes pee after he does this, but Peaches will "dig" on my lap when he's had enough - I put him in his cage and he'll hop into his litter (his favorite spot) so maybe he has to go and that's his way of saying...

butsy wrote:
i payed 350$ canadian to get my girl fixed ! it was the cheapest pace i could find, and it went great :)

350?! Oh my goodness! I guarantee mine is going to be just as expensive... I live on the East coast in Jersey. Everything is expensive here. lol

Thanks Lovethempigs for the list! :)

And tweetiepie, I was thinking about it to see if there was a "sign" that he may have done to say he had to go potty, but there wasn't. He easily could have gone to his litter box. It's not like I was forcing him to be up there, he chose. lol

I had a foster (Pancake) and when I first got her she climbed up on my shoulder one night. I was just thinking "how cute is that" when she peed on my shoulder! She never did it after that one time though. It may have been a marking thing. Too bad you don't live in Florida - we have a low-cost ($65) spay/neuter program. Maybe for what it will cost you in NJ you can take a vacation here and get him neutered, lol!

slavetoabunny wrote:
I had a foster (Pancake) and when I first got her she climbed up on my shoulder one night. I was just thinking "how cute is that" when she peed on my shoulder! She never did it after that one time though. It may have been a marking thing. Too bad you don't live in Florida - we have a low-cost ($65) spay/neuter program. Maybe for what it will cost you in NJ you can take a vacation here and get him neutered, lol!
That's pretty much what I was like as well. Like "Aww he's asking for lovin" but NO. Haha! :biggrin:That is probably true! Might as well take a trip to FL, get some sun and Herby neutered at the same time, lol

Latest posts

Back