Rabbit or Rat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitAsh

Reaction score
I'm highly considering giving Ash away to get 2 Rats. Why? Well, Ash lives alone. Is quite lonely. And is very expensive. He needs a home with another rabbit, and someone who can afford more. I love him with all my heart, and find it very hard to even write this. But rats are affordable, fun, and they will be living together.
What is your input? Please tell me what is the best option.

As someone who has bad both rats and rabbits they are equally as expensive as one another.

As much as I love rats they are not any cheaper then rabbita. I have incured more vet bills on rats I kept as pets then my rabbits. Just because they are smaller does not mean they are disposable. They need vet care when they are sick like any other animal.
And having a single rabbit is not a valid enough excuse to give him away.

As much as I love rats they are not any cheaper then rabbita. I have incured more vet bills on rats I kept as pets then my rabbits. Just because they are smaller does not mean they are disposable. They need vet care when they are sick like any other animal.
And having a single rabbit is not a valid enough excuse to give him away.

Yes, but I'm in fear that Ash will soon get depressed
He is very social, and wants desperate attention. Although I pet him half my day, its just not enough to keep him happy. Also, I already have a large cage, various foods for rats. Free neutered and spayed rats are given for free, or some less than 20$.

I mean honestly if you committed to Ash its kinda wrong to just rehome him....Rats are expensive I have friends with rats and they arent cheap. They require lots of care and attention to. My personal opinion is if you commit to owning an animal then you own them for the duration of their lives, unless there is some large issue, or outcome that prevents you from being able to care for them anymore. Simply stating you "think" hes lonely isnt really a solid reason to just rehome him. The price of two rats wont be that much cheaper. Animals arent disposable. I dont mean to hurt your feelings or anything this is simply MY opinion. You may of course choose which ever you want in the end.

I've also had rats and rabbits. I like them both! But I've also had single bunnies. With one exception, my single bunnies were happy. (I had one girl that got extremely destructive once her bondmate passed. She was one that really needed a bondmate.)

I'm curious as to why you think Ash is lonely. I mean no offense, but is it really that you think he is lonely or is that you have tired of him? (you don't have to answer that -- just suggesting that it be considered) If you already have all the supplies, it is just a matter of providing food and litter. Toys can be free (cardboard, TP tubes, etc).

If you'll bear with me a moment, I'd like to share about my Mocha. He was acquired as a bondmate for the girl who lost her bondmate. He was always shy and stand-off-ish. He would come out to play only if the doe would come out. She was his security. When she passed, I thought for sure I'd have to get him a bondmate. But as it turned out, we had numerous family trips that year that prevented me from following through. (Didn't want to leave the petsitter with newly bonding buns!)

But during that time of his being alone, he really came out of his shell. It took him time - about a year - but he seems much more well-adjusted than he used to be. He has is own routine. He seeks his nightly treats from us. He even hops up on the couch occasionally for a petting session. He binkies now way more than he ever has and more than he ever did when he had his girl bondmate.

I guess the moral of that story is that perhaps Ash is better off than you realize. He may need some time or some new cardboard toys or a new routine, but perhaps he is happier than you sense.

You fear your rabbit 'will soon get depressed'? What does that even mean? Lots of rabbits live alone very well. Some don't but if he didn't, you'd know. My Aki can't live alone: she was alone twice, for about one month when I first got her and for about 2 months when her first husbunny died. During those periods, she was never ever laying down or relaxing, always moving, constantly jumping on my knees and back on the ground, she developped OCD and was so nervous she was litteraly shaking all the time. That's a rabbit that can't live alone.
About the cost, I never had rats. Though, I did hesitate between that and rabbits and one of my friend had several. Rats develop tumors and breathing problems after 1 year and a half to 2 year. That's almost unavoidable from what I've read and heard. If you treat them, the cost will be a lot worse than for a bunny. There is no such thing as a cheap pet. If you feed them correctly and that you go to the vet when needed, all animals are potentially expensive. If you don't have the money, you shouldn't have a pet at all - rehome your rabbit and wait until you're in a better place to care for an animal.

Last edited:
Like everyone else said, rats need vet visits too. Rats need food, and cages, and medical care and all of the things a rabbit needs. Rats are the same price. If you are seriously considering giving up your rabbit to replace him, you probably honestly don't deserve him (I'm sorry- I know this is rude, but it's how I feel). Many rabbits do well alone (bonded is often considered the 'gold standard' if you will, but I've had rabbits who prefer being alone). I saw you posted this after he had a bout of possible GI issues and you realized you may have to take him to the vet. If you are truly concerned about the price of vet bills (which is a valid concern- my own rabbit has had health issues the past two months and I have been losing weight- to the point where am now underweight because the cheapest meal is the one you don't eat) then getting another pet is NOT the answer. Like Aki said, give Ash to a new loving home or good shelter and then don't replace him until you have enough money to afford vet bills.

You fear your rabbit 'will soon get depressed'? What does that even mean? Lots of rabbits live alone very well. Some don't but if he didn't, you'd know. My Aki can't live alone: she was alone twice, for about one month when I first got her and for about 2 months when her first husbunny died. During those periods, she was never ever laying down or relaxing, always moving, constantly jumping on my knees and back on the ground, she developped OCD and was so nervous she was litteraly shaking all the time. That's a rabbit that can't live alone.
About the cost, I never had rats. Though, I did hesitate between that and rabbits and one of my friend had several. Rats develop tumors and breathing problems after 1 year and a half to 2 year. That's almost unavoidable from what I've read and heard. If you treat them, the cost will be a lot worse than for a bunny. There is no such thing as a cheap pet. If you feed them correctly and that you go to the vet when needed, all animals are potentially expensive. If you don't have the money, you shouldn't have a pet at all - rehome your rabbit and wait until you're in a better place to care for an animal.
Some rabbits are better off with another companion. And Rabbits can get depressed. I mean, I love him with all my heart, he is like my baby. The other day I almost had a heart attack when finding out how I'll he was. I usually buy his supplies, food, water containers, hay, and toys each two weeks. Yes, Ash can live on his own. But personally, he wouldn't be as happy living alone than with a friend. For instance, whenever my cats or dog come close to the cage he get excited, rubbing his face on the cage wires.
Anyways, my parents did encourage be to get rats, but I refused when I fell in love with my bun.
I asked them if I could purchase another rabbit but they said no because they would be paying for more and more pet bills.
We can afford Ash, its just when it comes to vets and other health problems, my parents hesitate. And I hate that. I mean, I did inform them on how of an expensive animal this is.
I honestly don't know what my point is, and not owning rats does not mean I should know how expensive they are. I don't know what to do.

It's really your decision. If you are sure you want to rehome her I would make sure she goes to a good home with someone who knows and cares about rabbits. Not just anyone off Craigslist or whatever.

For me... the reason why I have a heart for rabbits and why I will probably always have them is because they are the most abused, innocent, misunderstood creatures. They are not cats/dogs but they are perfect in their own way. No offense, so many people get one because they are cute, and get tired of them and give them away. It breaks my heart because pets should be like family. It's also my opinion that when you get a rabbit... you benefit them more than they benefit us. My rabbit makes me really happy but I know that she will always have a great life here with me and seeing how some rabbits are treated... it breaks my heart.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... when you get an animal you do what's best for that animal, not what you want/like to do. Taking in an animal imo is an act of survive, your job is to love and protect it, not it's their job to entertain you and make you happy. When you have a pet... it's a responsibility. They are not entertainment. It's your responsibility and duty to take care of them.

Goodluck with your decision. I agree with the above poster... if you can't afford a pet don't have one. I don't think it's a good idea to essentially trade in your rabbit for a new pet. That makes me think this decision is about you and not the well being is the animal.

It's really your decision. If you are sure you want to rehome her I would make sure she goes to a good home with someone who knows and cares about rabbits. Not just anyone off Craigslist or whatever.

For me... the reason why I have a heart for rabbits and why I will probably always have them is because they are the most abused, innocent, misunderstood creatures. They are not cats/dogs but they are perfect in their own way. No offense, so many people get one because they are cute, and get tired of them and give them away. It breaks my heart because pets should be like family. It's also my opinion that when you get a rabbit... you benefit them more than they benefit us. My rabbit makes me really happy but I know that she will always have a great life here with me and seeing how some rabbits are treated... it breaks my heart.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... when you get an animal you do what's best for that animal, not what you want/like to do. Taking in an animal imo is an act of survive, your job is to love and protect it, not it's their job to entertain you and make you happy. When you have a pet... it's a responsibility. They are not entertainment. It's your responsibility and duty to take care of them.

Goodluck with your decision. I agree with the above poster... if you can't afford a pet don't have one. I don't think it's a good idea to essentially trade in your rabbit for a new pet. That makes me think this decision is about you and not the well being is the animal.

I will take this into consideration. No, I'm not getting tired of him. I can assure you, I am not. Basically I want to give him to another home; so he can have another friend and someone who can take him to the vet without getting yelled at that their wrong. Like, randomly Ash had a problem, was very ill, and was not pooing. First, I came here, then I did my research. I would do anything to help make Ash have a better life, that's why I'm considering rehoming him. :)

:)

Just make sure you re home him to people who know how to care for rabbits and love rabbits.
How Long have you had ash?

:)

Just make sure you re home him to people who know how to care for rabbits and love rabbits.
How Long have you had ash?

1 year and 3 months. Unfortunately, I bought him from Pet Smart. I know, I know, I should have adopted a Rabbit from a Local Shelter. But I didn't know back then.
After researching I found out what Petsmart, Petco, and all the other pet stores did to their animals before bringing them to the stores.

Maybe it would be better to rehome ash for his sake but you also shouldn't be getting another pet, you seem to really care about your bunny and so you want what's best for him but if you do decide to rehome him getting rats is not really a good idea I've had rats they are expensive as a bunny if not more so (my 4 rats develop tumours and breathing problems and in the end after trying to fight to save them me and my vet decided the best thing to do is put them down cause it was kinder) most rats will in the end develop some kind of a tumour or breathing problem in there lifetime and it's usually unavoidable and you can use meds and surgery and many other treatments to try and slow down the process but your just gonna be in the same place as you are now.

Okay, thanks for all the input guys.
I will hopefully rehome Ash to a more stabilized social environment. Then I will go from there.

It doesnt sound like you should be getting any more pets period.

Rats need to be taken to the vet just like rabbits and are just as expensive. So using money as an excuse to not get a second bunny because of high vet bills is bogus. Rats get RIs and tumors and can have just as many problems as rabbits. With 2 rats thats twice as many vet bills. And guess what? Its harder to find rat vets then rabbit vets. Rats are social and should not be on their own either. And with such a short life span the vet bills come quicker.

It doesnt sound like you should be getting any more pets period.

Rats need to be taken to the vet just like rabbits and are just as expensive. So using money as an excuse to not get a second bunny because of high vet bills is bogus. Rats get RIs and tumors and can have just as many problems as rabbits. With 2 rats thats twice as many vet bills. And guess what? Its harder to find rat vets then rabbit vets. Rats are social and should not be on their own either. And with such a short life span the vet bills come quicker.

Like I said, I will hopefully rehome Ash to a more stabilized social environment. Then I will go from there.

Latest posts

Back