Rabbit not eating after vet visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My holland lop, Bailey, hasn’t been eating much since her ophthalmology appointment. She had a diamond burr procedure done to treat her indolent eye ulcer which I imagine was pretty painful. The vet gave us metacam to be given (0.5ml twice a day). Bailey took the first dose willingly, but stopped eating the next day. I stopped the metacam (she’s never had a bad reaction to it before but maybe bc this is a much higher dose?). I syringe fed her every 3 hours with critical care mixed with water and unflavored pedialyte. I also got some simethicone in her and gave her gentle belly massages. She’s pooping now (yay!). They’ve increased in size as time has gone on, but they’re still small. She ate her salad and some pellets and oat hay. I also caught her drinking some water. But, her appetite is nowhere near where it was. Do rabbits get “full” from critical care? Or should I keep syringe feeding her until her appetite is back?

I would remove the pellets until she is back to 100%. Always offer her unlimited hay and water. The CC is filling her up so I would stop syringe feeding her if she is starting to eat on her own. Don't stop giving her Metacam! The pain is probably what caused this to happy so Metacam will help her out!

I would remove the pellets until she is back to 100%. Always offer her unlimited hay and water. The CC is filling her up so I would stop syringe feeding her if she is starting to eat on her own. Don't stop giving her Metacam! The pain is probably what caused this to happy so Metacam will help her out!
Should I still give 0.5ml twice a day? The vet warned that it might cause her GI upset

I would give her the amount suggested by the vet and if she does have any GI upset then call the vet and ask them what to do. If she doesn't seem to be in much pain you could give her only 0.5 ml once a day. Make sure you wean her off the medicine if you decide to stop giving it to her.

Latest posts

Back