Rabbit Magic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocelyn13

Reaction score
Yuskevich (my rabbit) goes everywhere with me.And when we use to go on holidays she would stay with my grandparents.They always loved animals and she was spoiled rotten (rotten in everysense of the word:?).

My Grandpa died last Summer and shortly after my grandmother found outshe was terminally ill. She eventually got moved to a hospice wherethey encouraged us to bring our pets to visit her. She said she wantedto see Yuskevich, so we brought her in, despite the fact the rest ofthe faimily thought we were crazy.

Now Yuskevich is a good bunny, but like most she hates being held anddoesnt stand still for long. And the dogs had mixed reactionswhen they saw my grandma ( I guess they could smell it). So we were alittle worried but my grandma had a picture of "Yuski" on her wall andshe wanted to show off the real thing to the nurses.

So one night we brought her in, my grandma wanted to pat her so we sather up and I held the bunny, I was nervous, but Yuskevich certainlywasnt, she sat perfectly still as my grandma slowly patted her cryingand whispering to the rabbit, she said the rabbit reminded her of mygrandpa. For the rest of our time she hopped aroundthe room, and watched my grandma intently.

Needless to say we brought her back again...

Has anyone else had an experience like that?

:sickbunny:my bun, oscar will jump upon my bed more often when i'm sick. he gets right in my nookand cuddles with me, normally for at least 20min......i guess that's alittle similar to your experience........

i have a similar story. . .

i have a cousin that will be 6 this aug.

at 12 days old he went in for major surgery to remove multiple brain tumors, the largest was wrapped around his spinal cord.

he now has some mental problems, and lots of physical disabilities (hecan't walk without someone holding his hand giving balance or without awalker, has to swallowing reflex, ect)

a few years ago, i bred rabbits and had a running breed. running breedsare known to be high strung and that was true part of the time. smash,a year old rhinelander was high strung. very devoted to me, but didn'treally want to be touched by anyone else, and really REALLY hatedchildren around him. during the summer months he lived in this bigoutdoor rabbit hutch that was part open wire, and part was a littlewooden house. it was lower to the ground (right at a 4 year old'slevel).

the first time jake (my cousin) came out to look at the rabbits, wewere unsure how it would go. jake has some sensitivity to textures andnever showed interest in animal fur. after walking around the rabbitbarn, i took out luke, a 2 year old holland lop that would have beenthe perfect therapy bunny) and let jake pet him. jake had fun, butwasn't over thrilled with it.

so we left the barn to go look at my flemish giant buck, bruno. . .another gentalrabbit (i was going to bring bruno out and lethimrun around, because he was so big, i didn't really fearjake accidently hurting him, and because bruno would just sit there andnot try to hop away). but we were instanly sidetracked tomysuprize by smashwho had begun to make lots ofnoise in his cage with whatever he could toss around. soibrought jake over the smash, worried that jake might getnipped though the wire, or whatnot. . . but smash did a quick run,binkie, then dashed into his "house" part of cage. . . then camestorming out larger then life. . . jake laughed and laughed. . . sosmash did it again, and jake kept on laughing. . . this went on forabout 10 minutes untill smash was tired, then he went and sat rightnext to the wire so he was directly in front of jake. . . i went andpicked some dandelion greens (theygrew wild bytherabbit barn) and showed jakehow to feed him. . . jake satthere feeding smash. . . even sticking his fingures in smashes cagebyhis face, and smash was as gental as can be.

smash wasn't a mean rabbit, but like stated didn't like kids, or anyonebut me for that matter. he never approached strangers (or even mybrother who was around him daily). . . so you can imagine just howsurprized i was at his actions to my special needs cousin.

jake came over a few more times, always visited smash, and luke, untilsmash went to live at a different breeders house, and luke passed away.. . those 2 rabbits were great with him. . . i fully believe the knewhe was special, and that they could help him.

i have been debating about bringing herman and winnie to the hospicehouse up here. . . i think they would be a hit, but herman doesn't doto hot in the car, so unless i can work him into at least toleratingit, then it is a no go. . . i would really love to be able to do thatthough. . .

Wildfire is a really big mush and she will sitwith me or anyone for extended periods of time as long as someone isgiving her love. She's good with kids. The otherday there was a little girl visiting the land lady while I had the bunsout, and the little girl sat with Wildfire right beside her for thelongest time. Wildfire just hunkered down while the littlegirl stroked her.

I'm on a waiting list to do volunteer work with BC Pets and Friends (http://www.petsandfriends.org/ ), an organization that takes animals tovisit at old age homes and hospitals as therapy. I'm hopingI'll be able to have Wildfire screened and signed up for visits thissummer.

I think animals are wonderfully intuitive. They can tell whenthey are really needed and that they are bringing joy into someone'slife.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back