Rabbit lost her partner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alizmar

Reaction score
hi everyone! so i’m very new to this so bear with me. sometime last week i unfortunately lost my bunny winnie after he got neutered. i have another rabbit named baphy, who doesn’t know that he passed and i believe she is looking around for him. i don’t want to bear another loss of a loved one, so would you recommend i get another rabbit? i don’t want to surrender her but i am not positive if she will bond with another bunny. can i get any advice? i work so i’m not able to be with her 24/7, which is why i want her to have a partner. she’s normally a little rambunctious but recently she has been calmer which i believe is her being stressed about the situation. any help is truly appreciated because i really don’t know what to do in this situation. thank you!

I've had rabbits that, in time, seemed perfectly happy to be single buns after losing their bondmate. One rabbit reacted differently. A few weeks/months after losing her bondmate, she began to act out and was not her usual adventurous self. She seemed to need that companionship from another bun. So it really depends on your individual rabbit as to what would be best for her.

Here is some good advice from cottontails rescue site:

If your rabbit has been recently bereaved, it is best to wait a couple of weeks or so and observe his or her behaviour to determine whether he/she is really missing the companionship – this can be seen by noting changes in behaviour where a rabbit is perhaps more reserved, less outgoing, and seems to spend a lot of time hunched and inactive (not to be confused with the onset of gut stasis). Sometimes you will see this behaviour to start with, but some rabbits regain their bounce within a week or so and actually gain a new lease of life! So the point I am making here is to take each rabbit as an individual and decide what to do based on the circumstances involved and not based on what someone says in a book or website!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back