Rabbit loosing hair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiall,myfirsteverpost.WellIneverthoughtI'dsignuponarabbitfrom
tongue.gif
.I'maregular30yearoldintocarsandcollectingwatchesbutnevereverthoughtrabbits.

Wellmywifeboughtarabbitjustoverayearago.Poorbunnyhasbeensicktwiceandafterspendingalargeamountonvetfeesheisbackok.

Ihaveaquickquestionsaboutlopearhouserabbitshedding.OverthelastfewdaysIhavenoticedthatbunnyjustkeepsshedding.
Itookhimoutsideforanicebrushbutafter45minutes,therewasstillhaircomingout.ItslikewhenIgrabaspotIcangentlypulloutthebunnieshairforalonglongtime.
Thenafterabout1hourwhenI'vehadenough,I'lllethimrunaroundthelivingroomandthenIgottavacuumagain.
IfIleavehimformorethenafewhoursinhiscageIgottalethimouttovacuumhiscagesohedoesn'teatthehair.

Isthisnormalforarabbit?Ihaveabookingwiththevetin6daystimeforaroutinevaccinationandIprefertogoearlierasourvetisquitefaraway.

I'm new toallthis.Thebunnyisstartingtogrowonme
smile.gif

1st of all.. welcome to the forum!
This rabbit forum is definitley the place for all your rabbit questions!

My rabbit's have never gone through a shedding period. I have my bun, Jenni since May '09 and she hasn't even shed once! My rabbit George(RIP) was like your rabbit. He was shedding really heavily for about a week. Anytime, I picked him up I was covered(literally) in his fur. I had groomed him for about 10mins 4 times a day(I was worried lol).

They can have heavy and 'light' sheddings. You probably wont notice when they shed really light! It's really important to brush your rabbit with a rabbit brush(or a dog brush for long haired dogs). Rabbits can get hairballs like cats! They can get bald spots too, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about that.

If you have any concerns about your rabbit, you can just call your vet and explain what's going on with your rabbit :)

Hope I helped!

Nicole

Yeah, Pipp didn't molt at all for the first year, then she had a light molt, but now she throws off every hair for three weeks of molting twice a year.

Sherry and Marvin just came off two or three weeks of major shedding, they looked like unmade beds.

Mister mini-rex is an older guy (I think) and he just finished quietly molting -- you don't notice until you pick him up and then yikes! (Not as bad as Dill, though. I'd have mini-rex fuzz stuck to the ceiling).

The Flemish boys are going through very light molts, almost unnoticeable, but they're under a year old.

Best way to 'brush' my crew is to sit with a bowl of warm water and a bunch of paper towels and just 'pet' the hair off of them. I have to keep rinsing and wiping my hands, but it really gets more hair off of them and it controls the hair, it comes off the bunnies and doesn't go flying around.

You're in the U.K. I gather? (Not a lot of places have rabbit vaccinations). Can you put your location in your profile?

Thanks!

:welcome1

sas :bunnydance:

I cant remember what the sickness was. The bunny was all floppy and it happened twice.

We had to nurse and hand feed him back to health both times after getting medicine.

Shedding was not related.

Skyler, seen below, is a master-shedder! What you're experiencing is not uncommon. Rabbits generally shed 4x per year. Two big sheds and 2 lesser sheds. Some years they don't seem to shed much, other years, they seem to be constantly "blowing a coat". Shedding generally lasts about 3 weeks, more or less.

Some people have found using lint rollers works well to remove loose fur. With Skyler, I use a alot of prayer!

Molt-8.jpg

Latest posts

Back