Rabbit Kits: Will they be okay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimsy22

Reaction score

My holland lop was pregnant and I had no idea. She had them the 18th of June.
She had last minute tried to make a nest( after giving birth) but it didnt go well. I helped a bit and it worked. They have pudgy bellies and light fuzz at day three now. She refused to keep them in a nesting box and would shovel them out. So now they are in a nest only of bedding and some hay inside the cage. We have a thin washcloth we could use, but is it okay to put that over them? The mother did pull fur but put it in her litter box and was wet and no good.Will that make a difference for the babies to keep warm and survive? There are five kits total. She feeds them very well and for a first time mother is doing well from what i read. In addition to consider to my questions is that my room gets pretty hot(muggy-ish) so i have an airconditioner on cool air and low fan at 73 degrees. i shut it off every now and again to make sure it doesnt make them cold because i worry. :nerves1 Any pointers would be great from people who know or have had kits before.The mother is a holland lop and the father is a dwarf hotot.

If you know who the father is how come it was a surprise litter?
They need to stay warm, yes they need the fur and it warms them but as long as there in some sort of nest and huddled together it should be fine. Pm and I'll tell you what I did to keep mine warm while it was winter and mum rejected them 😊

You can by nice soft bedding, and let get have her nest where she wants it. Put card board under it off she doesn't mess with it. Don't let the room get cold... There are plenty of babies to keep eachother warm. Try to arrange hay or something around them to keep them together, if they have hair, they are close to out of worry!

Latest posts

Back