Rabbit is starting to dig

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kora

Reaction score
So I’ve had my rabbit for two months now, and digging hasn’t been an issue until maybe three days ago? I’m going to guess it has something to do with her getting older, right? She’s almost 4 months old now.

One of the issues with her digging is she was scratching and pulling at my rug, and now it’s a complete mess all over my floor. Another one is she digs at my pillowcase, and if I put my hand where she’s digging to stop her (am I supposed to do that?), she BITES it. Or she’ll grab my finger with her teeth (still ow) and throw my hand to the side. I’m fine with her being on my bed, but I’m definitely not okay with her destroying it and biting me.

Now, for the months that I’ve had her, I’ve had two very large cardboard boxes for her to go in and do what she pleases (dig, chew, hide, etc.). But she has absolutely NO interest in them and never goes in them. She actually has no interest in cardboard at all. Not even toilet paper rolls. I was hoping having the cardboard boxes would help prevent a digging problem, but that is definitely not the case. Are there any tips you could possibly give me about the digging, biting, or boxes? Thank you in advance! :)

ALSO, I will be getting her spayed when she’s of age (that helps with behaviors like this, right?)!

She's just starting acting as a teenager now and this is normal, spaying should help a bit if she's 4 now you can contact your vets around and ask at what age they'd take her, it depends on vet sometimes they take from 4,5 months sometimes from 6 months.

What you can do now you can limit her space if she's a free roam and I saw your other post that she's not litter trained yet, there's no reason why you shouldn't train her before shes fixed, just you need to review her setup and provide a proper litter box and remove all soft bedding from her floor so only her litter box has something to pee on it. Rabbits love digging and peeing on soft so you just make her a few places where it suits to do and all other places must be hard surfaces or out of reach. That's during the training, after she knows her litter box well you can add her territory and blankets and soft bedding etc.

That post was from a while ago! She’s completely litter trained now :) And I’ll contact the vets next time they’re open to see when they’ll take her for spaying. Is it normal behavior for her to start biting, though?

The date on it was today! Glad you've managed to train her so quickly, well done :)
Biting in this case is kinda territorial thing I believe you gave her too much freedom at first and now she understands that your bed and your pillow are her own territory and here you are with your hand in her territory trying to fight her, of course she can bite to protect her territory.

Latest posts

Back