RABBIT IS NOT EATINGG!!!!! DOES NOT WANT TO EAT!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riffy

Reaction score
i have no idea why he does not want to eat.. he is just 1 year old and like 3 months old.. he is white with red eyes his name is frosty...he feels very skinny and i put him ALOT of cilantro and he does not want to eat it , he did not eat before and he feels very skinny... I HAVE NO MONEY. im only 15 years old and i have NO MONEY....my parents dont want to give me money for the rabbit and i know their lien when they say they dont have money , they didnt even want me to have my rabbit anyways... i wanna save his lifeee...i think something is wrong with his stomach because i dont see any poop either and his stomach growlsss... what should i do?? my friend told me to give him peptol bismol..

any home remedies??? they want me to pay 160 for the emergency visit plus more money for the medicine...

:( help me pleasseee

Nope, no Pepto Bismol, but do you have any gas medicine like GasX or something that is mostly 'simethicone'?

Also, can you give him some pedialyte (a drink for babies) and give him a tummy massage?

When did he last poop and what did it look like?

When did he last eat?

sas

he last ate last night and he poops veeeeeeery small for some reason... how should i give him gas x? and where can i buy it? and how much?

and pedialyte u say? isnt that milk?

If the poops are small, he's probably going into to stasis. He may have a blockage or something else that's messing up his intestinal tract.

Pedialyte is like Gatorade without the sugar. Its what athletes use to rehydrate themselves.

At this point he has to have fluids. The best thing is definitely getting him into a vet for them to give him an infusion of fluids under the skin.

You can try and syringe feed him a little watered down juice (or fresh pineapple, not canned, would be best, but not easy to get).

Also canned pumpkin (not the kind with sugar for pie filling, just plain 100% canned pumpkin) is your best bet for food. You'll have to feed it to him in a syringe without the needle.

Some gentle exercise might help as well, but don't stress him out.

sas :clover:

PS: Where are you located? Maybe we can find a rescue near by to help you out with the best treatment.

He needs treatment and he needs it quickly. Fluids and fiber.

The gas medicine has to contain simethicone. Baby gas drops like Infancol are best. Rabbits need more of it than humans. Depending on how much he weighs, he'll probably need a full dropperful every hour for three hours.

Keep rubbing his tummy.

You can also give him 1/4 of a Baby Motrin tablet, he's probably in pain.

sas :pray:

Here's some Simethicone info from our Library. (Also, did I mention to keep him warm?)

(ETA: I think Mylicon has a version called Baby Gas Drops).

US Brand Names

Anti-Gas Ultra Strength
Baby Gasz
Equilizer Gas Relief
Gas Aid Maximum Strength
Gas-X
Genasyme
Maalox Anti-Gas
Mylanta Gas
Mylicon
Mytab Gas
Phazyme
Simethicone (generic)

Dosage:

Simethicone Liquid: For an acute gas attack, 1-2 cc of a liquid baby gas med (20mg/ml suspension) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours.

Simethicone Tablets: Rabbits often will readily chew a fruit or other flavored tablet. Depending on the strength of the medication (it usually ranges from 40 to 125 mg suspensions) and the size of the rabbit, anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet is an average dose. It also should only be administered hourly for three hours, or in accordance with the instructions on the package.

Preventative: If you suspect gas but you're not sure, 1 cc by mouth 2 times daily for a day or two will help keep any gas moving through your bun's digestive tract.

Note: It's important to treat for gas as soon as the bunny shows signs of discomfort. A rabbit allowed to suffer gas pains for an extended period of time will lose it's appetite and/or can potentially go into shock, see a drop in body temperature and other problems.

i live in new york city manhattan...im rubbing his stomach right now... he still pooping but very small... i dont think he will eat pumpkin because he wont eat anything... so i guess gas x is my best bet and give him some pedialyte? he wont drink his water either hopefully he dont spit it out when i give it to him..

how should i keep him warm? its hot in my house ...should i still keep him warm?

should i hold him upside down or normal?? all i have is ibuprofen for children...its pink bubble gum flavor should i give him it?it sais 100mg per 5ml teaspoonful...

and gas x infant drops u say
everything ur reccomending im googling it

If his ears feel cold, you can provide him some extra warmth. If his ears feel warm, then he should be okay. Extra heat can be a towel from the dryer or an old sock filled with dry rice, tied shut and microwaved for a minute or so.

Fluids, you may have to give with a syringe. You can get some syringes for feeding babies at most pharmacies, just ask the pharmacist for some feeding syringes. Pedialyte and gas medicine with simethicone can also be found at a pharmacy.

A dehydrated bunny will not eat. Keeping him well hydrated is key to getting him eating again. Slowly syringing pedialyte will have to do if you cannot get him into a vet for sub-q fluids (under the skin fluid injections).

The canned pumpkin can also be syringed. You can put the tip of the syringe into the mouth just behind the front teeth and squirt slowly into the cheek pocket.

When using syringes, you have to be careful not to squirt liquid or food down the throat because the bunny will choke. You want to syringe slowly and allow the bunny to swallow what is in their mouth before putting more in.

You can also make a slurry from his pellets. Take about a table spoon of pellets and soak in water. You will be surprised at how much water they will absorb. Keep adding water and soaking until they are nice and mushy. You can then use a syringe to feed this to your bunny.

Definitely try gas medicine and fluids before any food. A bunny will not eat if dehydrated and a bunny will be okay as long as they are well hydrated.

-Dawn

If he's still pooping, that's great. The biggest problem is that when their intestines stop moving, its hard to get it going again, the food already in the tract can ferment and/or he can have bad bacteria growing in there.

You'll have to force him to drink by just putting a little warm water in a syringe and putting a few drops at a time in his mouth. Ditto with the canned pumpkin.

If you can get your hands on some Critical Care, that's a powder you mix up and feed to them the same way. It has lots of vitamins and fiber. A pet store might have it, but lately they seem to be trying to market it through Vets, so you may only be able to buy it at a Vet's office. It's expensive, over $20 for the package, although it goes a long way.

Its crucial that you get him eating and drinking whether he wants to or not. Definitely make sure he has food and water in him before giving him the Motrin. You can give him the Simethicone right away, though.

You can keep him warm by giving him a bean bag-style heating pad that you heat up in the microwave to snuggle up to if you have one, or just fill a sock with dry beans or rice and let him lie next to that. (Not too hot, though, just warm). Or you can put a heating pad under a blanket and keep him on that (as long as you can cover the wire so he can't get at it at all). You can hold him against your body as well.

For force feeding, I find the best position is with the bunny on all fours on the ground with a towel underneath them. I then kneel with his butt facing towards me and his body tucked between by knees. I then lean over top of him and use my hands to syringe him.

Also, try to stay calm and not panic. They can pick up on your stress and that makes them more stressed. You can afford to take a bit of time to get your plan together.

-Dawn

thank u guys i appreciate this alottt...hopefully this saves my rabbits life... im going to buy gas x but should i buy the infant drops?

The towel from the dryer is a great idea, thanks Dawn!

The baby ibuprofen will be great, but I have to check the dosage, and before you give him any, he needs to eat and drink.

Has he been chewing or eating anything unusual like carpet or plastic or anything?

What kind of food do you usually feed him? What kind of pellets? Veggies? Does he get hay?

Infant drops are easier to give him, so yes, I'd buy that kind. Just make sure they're almost pure Simethicone. The pharmacist can help with picking one. I don't know the brands in your area.

Most kinds of baby drops will say they are a "40 mg suspension". You really can't hurt him by giving him too much, though. Its a very safe drug. Give him a whole dropperful, which should be 1 CC. Rabbits need more than babies, oddly enough.

Riffy, where do you live? Send me a private message if you want me to help. I live in midtown Manhattan. I have all of the things Pipp and Dawn have mentioned. Can lend you some if you are nearby. You don't need to buy the gasx brand. It's more expensive. Usually the popular pharmacies carry their own brand of the same thing. As long as the only active ingredient is simethicone, it's good. Typically only the baby/infant formulas are in drop form. Adult simethicone is usually a tablet with other stuff in there that is not good for a rabbit to eat.

aurora369 wrote:
As long as the active ingredient is simethicone, either format is fine. The adult chews or the liquid baby drops will both work fine.

-Dawn
Hmm, really? Adult chews have other stuff to make it a solid tablet, doesn't it? I once got simethicone gas tablets for myself. It's a chewable tablet and it tasted chalky and cherry-flavor. I didn't think that stuff would be good for a bun :(

kirbyultra wrote:
Riffy, where do you live? Send me a private message if you want me to help. I live in midtown Manhattan. I have all of the things Pipp and Dawn have mentioned. Can lend you some if you are nearby. You don't need to buy the gasx brand. It's more expensive. Usually the popular pharmacies carry their own brand of the same thing. As long as the only active ingredient is simethicone, it's good. Typically only the baby/infant formulas are in drop form. Adult simethicone is usually a tablet with other stuff in there that is not good for a rabbit to eat.
:yeahthat: Agreed on all fronts!

It would be awesome if you could help. Hope geography is in your favor.

He might eat pumpkin. My buns love pumpkin and when they won't eat anything else they will still eat a tiny bit of pumpkin (warmed up slightly above room temperature so it smells really good). Don't feed the canned pumpkin that has spices and stuff already in it called "pumpkin mix" or "pumpkin pie filling". Just PURE pumpkin. I have a few cans of that stocked in my home at all times LOL

Simethicone, a thermometer, a cotton cloth bag with rice to heat up the bun -- all things I keep on hand for my buns. Please, don't be shy. If you need help, let me know. It's not too late in the evening. I can help.

Edit: I realize you're 15 years old.... please check w/ your parents. I would be skeptical too. I work as a volunteer for the animal shelter in NYC (that is on E110st between 1st and 2nd Ave). I'm not super experienced, but I know enough to syringe feed a bun some pedialyte if it would help hydrate the rabbit. I also help run the adoption events with the Petco foundation for our shelter rabbits. We can meet up at one of the Petcos we have events in if that is easier. Petco is open until 10PM.

kirbyultra wrote:
Hmm, really? Adult chews have other stuff to make it a solid tablet, doesn't it? I once got simethicone gas tablets for myself. It's a chewable tablet and it tasted chalky and cherry-flavor. I didn't think that stuff would be good for a bun :(
I don't think the 'binding' ingredients are that much worse than the flavors in the drops, but I do wonder about that. I've gone over it with my pharmacist, he seemed to think it was okay, but then he also thought I was nuts for treating rabbits for gas in the first place, so he's not the best source.

The upside is that the adult tabs are a lot stronger (and in some cases, more palatable for the bunnies). Going by past experience of my own and after consultation with some knowledgeable people on the Etherbun group, we figured the biggest problem with simethicone was that the drops just weren't enough.

I should check back with the people this was discussed with a couple years ago and see if they still feel that way.

I think one distinction might be to stay away from the sugars if the bunny appears to have an imbalance issue. I have different treatments for rabbits with any kind of dysbiosis (runny cecals) than ones with just gas or small poops. I still need to compare the sugars (and binding ingredient) between the drops and the tabs.

All input on this is welcome!

sas :thanks:

Back