Rabbit is chewing my carpet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steph66419

Reaction score
So peanut likes to chew my carpet and he’s ruining it. My parents are not very happy about it either. Is there anything safe I could put on the carpet that will make him not want to chew it? Or what have you guys done? He has a ton of toys, but wants the carpet instead. He had a towel to chew on sometimes but I keep an eye on him when he does chew on it because I don’t want him to swallow it.

I put rugs all over to prevent carpet chewing. I buy cheap ones on clearance.

Ceramic tiles work well in corners, along edges, and behind doors. They're a dollar or two each depending on size/shape.

I've tried sprinkling regular pepper in the carpet, but I don't know if that really works.

It's a bummer to have a carpet chewer. I was hoping that if he was not neutered, that the neutering might help. But he's just a chewer.

Blocking access to the carpet is all you can really do. If he tends to chew just certain areas or corners, then the tile suggestion from samoth can help. If he chews everywhere, then you may be stuck doing what Larry does with the plywood or getting cheap rugs to put on top.

Does your rabbit have unlimited hay for munching? What about cardboard tubes, boxes, etc.? Seagrass mats may also be a favorite for a carpet chewer. These would be distractions which may help somewhat.

You'll have to keep him off of carpet anytime you can't give him your full attention. Using an x-pen on wood or on lino or on a (disposable) rug will be your only option for when he isn't being watched closely.

My rabbit is a huge carpet chewer. I know it's not the nicest looking solution, but you can cover the carpet with old blankets. That works for me!

we keep Bunster in an x-pen and the bottom is just a tarp plus a spare flat sheet layered on top, so she can't get to any carpet.

Back