rabbit hutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this for indoor or outdoor housing? How much out time does your bunny get?

For outdoors it is too small definitely. I don't like at all that it has a wire floor, but a lot of people in America do that. Which size are you getting?

it's for indoor. I'd get the largest size. Right now we moved and stuff but he usually gets out every day. We have a play pen for him. I don't like the wire either but i was going to see if we could remove that do something with it.

Oh if it's for indoors then I think it would be ok. :)You could put it in the playpen even, to give him more space. You could but some wooden boards or grass mats, or even cardboard on the floor to protect his feet.

I think a few people on here have that, hopefully they'll see this and can tell you what it's like. :)

my major thing is that i have cats and especially one cat in particular that likes to torment the rabbit. I have him in a big labrador crate now but it's open on all sides.

If you guys think he would be happy in a hutch like this and it would be adequate (with outside time) then i'm going to buy it. He's a blac de hotot so not real big.

My sister and i bought that hutch, the largest available about 6months ago. We ended up returning it the same day, we thought it was way to small. It's much smaller than it looks. It also takes up a lot of room for how small it is;)

i saw it at the store put up and it wasn't that big compared to what i have. I dunno what to do :(

have you considered an NIC cage? They are made from shelving panels. Most people use cloroplast for the floor so there is no wire bottom. It dosent have to take up much floor space and you can build up. They are cheaper than any store bought cage and probably 3 times bigger than the largest ones.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

If you wanted to, you could probably put something on the side to help protect from your cats, like a board or some more cloroplast. Just make sure it isnt treated in case Spring chews it.

I did think about that before making my current setup with the dog crate and i couldn't find any nic cubes and the nearest cloroplast dealer is like 120miles away.

My options are to either go with the hutch or get plywood and make a box to fit around the cage. That's an option too.

The only problem i have is making the shelf in that crate. I need to find a good way to make it hold up properly.

Rosey wrote:
I did think about that before making my current setup with the dog crate and i couldn't find any nic cubes and the nearest cloroplast dealer is like 120miles away.

My options are to either go with the hutch or get plywood and make a box to fit around the cage. That's an option too.

The only problem i have is making the shelf in that crate. I need to find a good way to make it hold up properly.
my cousin made a shelf out of plywood and boards for dog... that migt be an option(except your bunny may cew it)

Rosey wrote:

I don't know where you are located, but NIC grids can be found under the "Organize It" brand at Target. They are (when not on sale) about $15 for 23 grids and the anchors. I recently got 3 boxes. I made 2 play areas with them (and still have grids to spare). One has a "roof" with a "sky light" :biggrin2:that I can reach intoif needed but basically keeps the bunnies in and kitties out.It is linked with the anchors. The other is an open play pen that I attached with cable ties and close with spring-loaded clamps.

There are also options other than coroplast for the flooring (I am currently trying to find a "local" carrier who will sell me the HUGE sheets, but no luck yet). A piece of laminate flooring is one option. And I believe JimD says he uses those heavy plastic rug protectors that are typically found under office desks. Just so it's easy to clean and something your bunny won't eat :).

Here's are photos of part of what I built in under an hour.

BunniesexploreNICplaypen001.jpg

BunniesexploreNICplaypen005.jpg

For me, this is just temporary housing in our basement during the heat of August. I'll be building taking this down and reorganizing it into a "bunny palace" upstairs this fall.

Wishing you well as you work on new housing for your bunny! :bunny24

last time i looked for the nic cubes, they didn't haev any at my target and i think they don't ship those.

He does chew on the wood and i know he'll chew on the divider in that one too but that's ok.

I guess i need to think on it.

How big should an enclosure be for a smaller rabbit? he's a blanc de hotot.

What was wrong with the current cage? I like dog crates, and they're definately better than that over-priced hutch. Maybe we can help you make a shelf. If it's a problem that the cats can get their paws in, get some hardware cloth (super cheap) and zip tie it to the sides of the cage.

well the flooring i made with linoleum which he doesnt' like and if i put carpet, he'll eat that (tried that) and i can't seem to get a shelf to stay straight so he doesn't climb on them anyways.

what's hardware cloth?

Hardware cloth examples:
http://www.twpinc.com/

You can find it at hardware stores and farm supply stores like Fleet Farm or TSC. It's cheap, flexible, and thin. Maherwoman and I both use it to keep kitty paws out of bunny cages.

You can put grass mats on the floor, they're safe to eat and they're fun toys. I've bought some from Pier 1 that are untreated, and you can get them from online bunny supply stores too.

How are you making the shelf? A simple way to make it would be to use pegboard (the kind for hanging tools from) for the floor and two thick dowel rods for supports. Stick the dowel rods through the cage wire (before you put on the hardware cloth), put the shelf on top, and secure it with zip ties through the holes in the floor (tie to both the dowel rods and to the cage wire, so it doesn't move). Cut off the excess lengths of the dowel rods. Voila! If you don't have the tools for cutting the wood, I think stores like Home Depot will cut it for you if you buy it there.

I LOVE the idea of using peg board!!!!!!! :thanks:I am in the process of planning a NIC palace...and I love one that Haley has posted photos of...but I thought the way she had builtthe "shelves" would be a little high for my bunnies (Holland Lops). But I could use rods & peg board to build one at ANY height. Wow! This is like :idea!!! You're the best, naturestee!

Latest posts

Back