Rabbit Hearing? (Keep on Rockin' Me Bunny..)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunman

Reaction score
We have an interesting discussion at Fuzzy-Rabbit.com about rabbit hearing. Many rabs seem to ignore fairly loud rock music while a few react fearfully to music. Anyone here know about the range of rabbit hearing & why it differs so much?

As far as I understand, A rabbit hears both higher and lower than a human, but generally lower than higher (if that makes sense). So maybe they 'feel' the music, i.e. the vibrations through the floor (as they obviously use this methodfor communication, often to warn others) and maybe the higher or lower pitched, hurts their ears?

just random thoughts :)

Interesting. I believe we also have a vet here; maybe she could add to the discussion from a scientific stand point.

I don't know about music. But, I have been wondering about how they feel about loud noises in general.

I have two very wild little children. And sometimes they do something that I am sure is going to upset Bunny, but she just lays there like she didn't hear a thing. She also doesn't seem to be startled by their quick actions. It really amazes me...sometimes my kids scare ME and I'm bigger than them!

The only rabbit of mine that gets scared about music is Oberon. He's okay with some rock music groups but not others, and he's terrified of Rusted Root (lots of drumming). The difference between him and the other buns is that he has red eyes and he "scans," which means he probably has somewhat reduced vision and relies on his hearing more.

He's also terrified of my mother-in-law's voice. He's okay with every other person he's met except her. :lol:

I have had a couple of my rabbits actually sit in front of the sub woofer its like they get a massage from it!! they also have a stereo in the shed so they all get used to music and noises it doesn't bother any of them

We have the bunny's litter box in the living room right in front of one of the big speakers for our stereo/tv. When we have it on watching very loud movies,Misty likes to sit in the litter box. Neither she or Charlie are fazed by the loud noise at all.

But, the second I start playing music through my laptop speakers -doesn't even have to be loud, they both high tail it out of the room and go hide. It must be giving off some kind of sound frequency I can't hear.

My bunny doesn't react to our music, and we listen to pretty only much metal. We also watch LOTS of horror movies.She also doesn't react to the dog barking, but the birds she does thump about from time to time. When I had a mouse run at me inches away from her cage, and I screamed, she slept right through it.

:dunno:

~Star~

The only music Ollie listens to is my singing.He doesn't mind it, and at some times he seems to enjoy it. I'll often see him binkying when I sing, and he's much more relaxed, but that might just be because he can hear my voice. He's got a good ear for music. He bit me once when I started singing a Barney song, something he never does, and he licked me when I sung a Fall Out Boy song. LOL :D

Rachel.

Phinn loves tv/music.

If he is out for run around time he wont run around if were just sitting around looking at him, the tv has to be on, or some sort of music.

I have no idea why, but her just seems more comfortable if everyone is distracted and not just staring at him...even though he's so darn cute:D

Silvie&&Phinn

Wow Chandie-I can't believe yours sits in front of the map! My ex was in a band and I know how loud those are:shock:.

When we used to bowl on Friday nights, my husband started it, put music on the tv for the buns, hee hee. They don't mind it whether it's loud or not. Even my husband playing Socom loud and when something blows up-it might scare me, but it doesn't phase them, and they are not very far away from the speakers either, maybe nine feet.

Back