Rabbit head twitch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So several months ago I came into possession of a female rabbit that was pregnant. She gave birth to 6 beautiful kits. Unfortunately one passed away a few days later.

The other 5 were healthy and continued to thrive. However 1 of the 5 mom began rejecting about a week in and I ended up hand feeding this baby and he managed to survive. Even though it seemed pretty touch and go sometimes, he pulled through! He’s a very strong and resilient boy!

Once the kits eyes began opening I noticed this one particular baby I had been feeding had 1 milky eye and the other eye he has heterochromia, half his eye is brown and the other half a very pale light blue. As he grew I knew he was definitely blind in the milky eye but his other seems to have vision. He usually stares at me from that side and is able to follow things with that eye.

However, I’ve noticed that his eye sometimes twitches AND his head also seems to move in a twitchy manner back and forth. Almost like he’s shaking his head to say no. This has been happening ever since his eyes have been open. Particularly when it seems like he’s trying to focus on something.

I have seen many posts about inner ear infections, but usually this is shown with a head tilt to the side, this isn’t what he is doing though. I’ve been looking online for any reasoning toward this, and I’ve come up with nothing.

I’m just worried about him and I’m super attached to him because I hand fed him myself, and I think he’s pretty attached to me too. He’s a super happy guy, still eating and drinking normally. Playing with his toys and LOVES to be given attention. (I should note that he is now 7 months old)

I’m just hoping to come up with some answers. I’ve got an appointment to get him neutered, but unfortunately there aren’t many “exotic” vets around me so the waiting list is terribly long and I have to wait another 2 months until I can get that done. I’m worried something is wrong with him, and that the long wait to see a vet will impact his well-being.

If I have to I will take him to an emergency vet, but he seems to be healthy otherwise. So I’m just confused as to what is going on! Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I would be worried about something neurological, either an infection he got as a baby such as e.cuniculi or that something didn’t develop right in his head. This really would need a detailed clinical exam to diagnose properly, but while he is happy and eating drinking pooping and playing it wouldn’t be an emergency since he’s had it this long.

Latest posts

Back