Rabbit has bald spot behind his neck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

migoandpooh

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 4 year old Lion head. He has a big bald spot behind his neck. I checked him out and he doesn't appear to have mites. I also have a 1 year old Dwarf rabbit. But she doesn't have any bald spots on her. Not sure if it's from him molting, or if it is mites that I cant see. I tried calling vets, but there aren't any in my area anymore who work with rabbits. I also read a thread saying if it is mites to use Revolution. But is that only prescribed by a vet or can I buy it at a PetSmart or Petco?

Any flakes? My lionhead had the same issue a few years ago. No flakes but was losing fur at the back of here head. Vet injected her with ivermectin (twice, two weeks apart) and she was all fur again :)

But if your vet has Revolution (for kittens), try to opt that instead. Some pet stores sell this but it would be best to get the correct dosage from your vet :)

I didn't know much about mites back then so I didn't know the difference between ivermectin and revolution. Both cure mites, but one is said to be safer for bunnies than the other :)

Thanks for the reply :)

No, no flakes at all. And unfortunately I have no vets in my area that work with rabbits to help. So I'm not sure what to do...
He doesn't seem to be in discomfort, neither does my other rabbit who has no hair loss at all.

I was thinking if I found a place that sold Revolution to just try it with the lowest dosage to see if it would help. But still scared, I don't want to make it worse.

With no dandruff, flea dirt, or crusting/scabbing present, it's not likely to be mites/fleas and could just be molting. If it's molting then in the next few weeks you should start seeing new fur growth. If you don't, then there are medical conditions that can cause alopecia. If your rabbits are bonded, you will also want to make sure it's not the bonded bun companion just overgrooming him.

Thanks for the reply :)

I was thinking it may be the bonded rabbit over grooming him. If it doesn't start grow back and I start to think it may be alopecia, what can I do to help that?

I have a Lionhead X lupe and noticed the same thing around Christmas time but since then the fur has grown back a lot. You can still a bit of skin cause the hair is thinner but no flakes or indication of mites. Still a very happy bunny

Back