Rabbit GI Stasis 2nd time - Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsyBunnies4

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My almost 3yr old Holland Lop, Beatrix, had a minor bout of GI Stasis last week on Wednesday. That morning, she ate her breakfast as usual but then a few hours later didn't want to go out for playtime or eat anything. We spent that day trying to treat her ourselves (meloxicam, fluids, ect.) but she wasn't showing signs of improvement. We took her to our emergency vet that evening. They said her vitals were great, she was a little cold but not bad, and her belly was soft. They couldn't find any abnormalities on the initial check-up besides some Pododermatitis which I'm trying to figure out how to help resolve for her (maybe needs more padding in her enclosure?). They sent her home with us, instructing us to keep giving her meloxicam and feed critical care until she starts eating. When she got home, she immediately started nibbling on hay and greens and was excited for dinner! Since then, she's been doing great (eating, pooping, energetic, drinking ect.) until today :(

This morning (monday), around 9, she was sleeping in her house when I came in but came out to say hi when I started to clean her pen. I noticed something was off again because she sprawled out on the rug but got right up and tried to press her belly to the ground. She had no interest in breakfast and has just been huddled, sleeping since then. When I say sleeping, I actually think she is sleeping as her nose isn't twitching that much and she seems relaxed. She's still on meloxicam from last week so I gave that to her this morning like usual (she gets it every 24hrs at 10am). Her belly doesn't feel very firm and her ears aren't cold. She is pretty reactive and when I shoo her with my hands she'll hop to a different place. I haven't seen her poop yet today (she may have had a couple poops but I can't say for sure as it was in the play space all the bunnies use).

Should I take her to the vet again? Might it be something pretty serious that is causing this to happen again? She is shedding a TON so I've been trying to brush her a lot but maybe its not enough? Could it be her sore hocks? Sorry for all the questions. I love her so much and I'm such a nervous wreck right now.

How can I support my little girl the best right now?

Sounds like a stressful time for you! I would perhaps give the vet a call and ask them. Perhaps she could do with some gut stimulants to get things moving again? The metacam will help with any pain though which is good!

It could just be due to the molt, or maybe a problem with her food causing digestive upset. There's no way to know if there's something more serious going on without having more tests done. It would take xrays, blood test, dental exam, etc, to rule out something more serious.

Back