Rabbit found continued

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vpink

Reaction score
Hello to everyone who has been so incredibly wonderful to chat with about bunnies.

It has taken me a long time to get my nerve up to come back and report on Fluffy.:(

My Husband and son found Fluffy on Saturday and as you know I receivedgreat feedback from all of you as how to take care of Fluffy.I followed directions to a T.

My husband went out an purchased food and pine and Timothy hay and alfalfa and all the good things a bunnie could need.

We gave Fluffy plenty of water and made sure Fluffy was not over heated, because here in Atlanta it's been very very hot....

We did everything we were told to do.

On Sunday morning we checked on Fluffy and all seemed to be wonderful.

We went to Church, it was Fathers Day.

We had a great day. Sunday evening my children were sent to Camp for 1 week.

On Monday morning on my way out the door to work, I checked in onFluffy to make sure all was well and Fluffy had expired. :(:(:(:(

What did we do wrong... My husband was upset, I was upset and worst of all my kids were at camp and how do I tell them???

Well, my children returned home last night and of course they're first question was how is Fluffy?

My husband broke the news to them and my son whom had hand deliveredFluffy to his younger sisters as a sweet gift, cried himself tosleep.

He was overwhelmed. My 3 daughters began drilling us for answers.

Last night was an aweful night for us all and we didn't know how to respond or to answer.

How could a bunnie only last 3 days?????

I know my family had found him, however we were doing all that was asked of us.

How could we have know that Fluffy would have caused such joy and pain in a matter of days?

We are a very very sad family.

Vpink.

My children have prayed for Fluffy.

I'm afraid of starting over. I can't stand seeing the children so dissappointed, and sad.

aww vpink - I am so terrible sorry for your loss.It is the worst feeling in the world when you loss a pet. I lost threeof my rabbits in the same weekend as you :(it's heartbreakingexpecially when there are children involved.

Perhaps the bunny had some sort of Virus or disease with you findinghim like that. Who knows how long he had been out alone before youkindly took him in. It could have been a number of things. Were thereany signs at all?

Please goherehttp://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htmit is a site that is recommeded by everyone on here. Show it to yourfamily.

Please don't be put off about getting a new rabbit. It does help andyou was doing everything right. you said "I'm afraid of startingover. I can't stand seeing the children so dissappointed, andsad. " I can completely understand this, but you can have years ofhappiness with rabbits - It just seems that there was nothing you couldhave done for your fluffy. I would bite the bullet and adopt a newrabbit. There are so many rabbits in need of a good new home and itseems to me like yours would be the perfect place for them!

Good luck to you and your family with whatever you decide to do. Pleaselet us know if you decide to get another one and don't forget you didnothing wrong.

Vickie

Oh vpink,

I'm so sorry.

As DaisyNBuster pointed out, it's hard to say what was wrong with thelittle guy not knowing where he came from and what his background was.

Please don't beat yourself up. It wasn't your fault. Fluffy was solucky to have spent his last few days with your family where he had allthe comforts of home and so much love. Certainly if you had seen signsof trouble, you would've been the first one to investigate it andcorrect it. Rabbits hide their aches, pains, and illnesses because innature if they don't they're subject to being an easy prey victim.

It's amazing how quickly they jump into our hearts and fill it up. Whenthey leave, they leave an void that can't be filled. It doesn't matterif you've had them two weeks or two years. Love is love and once yourheart is in it, the grief is the same.

Thank you for having the extreme courage you do for coming back to tellus what happens. Now that you have a full set up, any chance of gettinganother rabbit? Should you decide to do so, I'd strongly recommend youget one from a reputable breeder or a shelter. I'd stay away frompetstores, personally.

Rest assured, Fluffy will be waiting for you in Heaven and then you'llnever be separated again. My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to youand your loving family.

-Carolyn

Who can say why Fluffy's life and that of yourfamily was supposed to intersect, and we will never know the whys andwherefores of such a situation until we, too, cross over the RainbowBridge.

Having had a bittersweet taste of rabbit keeping, you want to ventureforth, in Fluffy's memory and honor, to give some other sweet bun theopportunity to spend a life in the cockles of your family'sheart. The chances of a repitition of such a circumstance youexperienced with Fluffy's demise are remote if you follow theguidelines presented to you earlier by members of the forum.

If you obtain a rabbit from a rescue center or breeder, try to insureit is at least 10 -12 weeks old, is bright eyed and alert, withoutbeing aggressive, and does not have weepy eyes or a runnynose. Some full bred bunnies are known to make better petsthan others, for a multitude of reasons. Some are larger thanothers, eat more, poop larger, and can handle therambunctiousness of children or other pet species morereadily. Some smaller breeds have reputations for beinghyperactive and high strung. Some middle sized breeds tend tofall right in the middle of all these characteristics and makeextremely good pets.

Rescued and pet store rabbits are often difficult to identify by breedand may, in fact, be mixed breed bunnies, which is not inherently bad,but you're buying, "a pig in a polk,"in terms of size anddisposition if you cannot see and experience the bun's parents.

Do think about it.

Buck

I can only follow up here on what the others havealready said.. but it is a good message. I'm so sorry for the loss youand your family have experienced. I can't help but feel that Fluffy wassent to you for some reason that we can not all know right now. I thinka new bunny would be a great addition to the family at this time basedon what I have seen. Seems you all did a great job with this one in thetime that you had it. At least you have the knowledge that Fluffy'slast few days were comfortable and he was being loved. I do hope youdecide to get a new bun and one way or the other I hope you stay intouch with us here at the boards. Seems like you have a great lilfamily there and I know we'd all love to hear more about you guys.*hugs for the whole family*

-Cheryl

I am so sorry for your loss. Pleasedon't feel you did anything wrong. You and your family gave Fluffy themost precious of gifts. You gave him a home where he wasloved and cherished by all. I know how hard it is when they leave youso suddenly. A short time ago my family lost our rabbit in much thesame way. We were devastated. Please read the Rainbow Bridge.I shared it with my son and it really brought us some comfort.

Ifyou and your family do decide to bless another rabbitwith your home and love. Please go to a reputable breeder or a shelterrabbit. You and your family obviously have so much love to give.

My heart goes out to you and your family at this most difficulttime. I will keep you all in my prayers as you go through thisdifficult time.

Tina

As they said it could have been anything from an illness to a visit by a varmint that scared Fluffy too much.

There were three wild baby rabbits in my flowers tis spring.One was not as active as the other two and it died in a fewdays. The other two grew and finally moved on. Nowone of them is back in the yard just about every day. It hasgrown a lot and sho knows if the other one made it.

With good care most rabbits live a fairly long life and should outlive your children's childhood.

Ed

This brings tears to my eyes cos I no what itslike to lose a rabbit named Fluffy. He shall never forget the love andkindness you gave him. May he RIP.

Do not let your experience with Fluffy put you off rabbits.

The pain doesnt stop. It still hasnt with me, and my Fluffy died in Febuary.

-L

Okay, that did it. I'm sitting herewith tears running down my face. Once again, this is notexactly about rabbits, but skunks. Baby died at the age of 31/2 last November.....way too early. In a domesticsituation, they can live a long life...as much as 15 to 20 or soyears. I had decided, beings I'm older, that I was going tomake up a paper that if I died before she did, I wanted her put sleepand buried with me. Not all that many people know that muchabout skunks...and most don't care to learn, so I figured that shewould be better off with me than taking a chance on what would happento her without me. Well, darn her! Shedied. I have grieved and grieved over her. No,Bushie will never be Baby, but then, I'm never going to be DollyParton, either, so.....But, Bushie is Bushie in his own uniqueway, and I love him dearly. Maybe there was something wrongwith Baby since she was all by herself as a baby. Maybe shewas destined to have a short life. I'll never know.But, I'm so glad that Bushie is with me. It's kind of likewith your kids. You just may love each differently, yet inthe same depth.

You've got all the stuff. Go get another bunny.You'll be sorry in the long run if you don't. (Here I had putall of Baby's "stuff" away. So glad that I didn't tossit!) You only get one chance to go around. Might aswell make the trip wrapped up in love.

I agree with the last post get another bun. Theexperince of having a rabbit is amazing ask anyone. Especially when youget to see their different personalitys blossom. :D

Carrots :)

Latest posts

Back