Rabbit fight... Oops =/

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstin

Reaction score
So I let Milo (neutered buck), Blizzard (not neutered buck), and Patches (spayed doe) be hoppy together in a closed off area. Milo and Blizzard are good friends and have been cage buddies since they were about 2-3 months old. Patches gets along decently with the boys, and I watched for a bit to make sure they weren't fighting. Blizzard would try to mount Patches and she would run, but not lash out.

Anyhow... later on that day, I came out to inspect them, and Blizzard had an inch-long rip in his ear with a few small cuts on his body. Milo had a gash in his ear, and Patches had a few minor cuts as well. I'm not sure who did what, but I quickly separated them and put Blizz and Milo in different cages permanantly (they've had history of fighting before, and that was their last chance).

To treat the cuts, I've used a soothing/anti-inflamatory/antibacterial cream. I've also inspected to make sure they are not swollen and infected. Milo's ear gash seems a bit hard and thick though. Could that be an absess?

Should I take them allto a vet to get inspected for more cuts I may havemissed? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to get my rabbits inspected and medicated, but if it's necessary, I definitely will.

Advice/Opinionsis/are appreciated. =) Thanks guys.

How long has it been since the fight? It would take several days for an abscess to form. It may just be scar tissue forming on the ear, which sounds likely if it was an actual tear in the ear rather than a scratch on the skin.

it's hard to know ..it may be scar tissue ?? Did you clean the ear really thoroughly?

After they have a fight it is often difficult to find all the bites on the same day
We usually recommend treating with betadine (I dilute it) on a cottonball ; it is really important to keep checking the rabbit for bites that have been missed because of the possibility of abscesses

it is diffiuclt to tell you what he has on his ear without actually seeing it.

Back