Rabbit Fight Need Help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radian23

Reaction score
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone. Just minutes ago had a horrible incident with my two rabbits. The first rabbit is a male lion head rabbit named Buster that is about 4 years old and our new female mixed rabbit named Bugs that is about 4 months old. Upon getting the female rabbit we had Buster neutered and everything went great. We went through and introduced both rabbits as suggested by most online articles and everything seemed to go very well. Both rabbits seemed to be bonded and have been in the same cage for about two months.

Just a few minutes ago I had to break up my first rabbit fight. It seemed that Bugs was attacking Buster by leaping at him and bitting him. Both of them seemed to be fighting aggressively with both rabbits standing on their back legs and jumping at each other. I have since separated both of the rabbits and moved them to separate rooms. I have no idea what to do. Do I have to reintroduce them? Will they ever be able to be bonded again? Why did this happen? I would like to keep both of the rabbits but if I have to I will try to find a new home for Bugs. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Please make sure you do a thorough examination of both your rabbits to make sure that they are okay. Look for cuts, scrapes etc. bumps. I have no experience with rabbit introductions but I do know that you have to carefully check them over both visually and by touching them physically.

I did check over each of them and they both seem to be doing fine. No bleeding or injuries. I was able to separate them probably within about 10 seconds of them fighting.

I also wanted to note that before this episode both rabbits groomed each other and always stayed with one another. The cage I made for these rabbits is a 3 story condo and whenever I see them they are always on the same level.

The only thing that I have been able to think of that may have started the fight is that Bugs is starting to get bigger. Could she possible be trying to establish some type of dominance? Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm guessing that Bugs has entered the her hormonal teenage years. I would keep them in separate cages or pens until Bugs is spayed. Then reintroduce after she settles down.

Also do check for bite wounds. They can become infected.

I have been planning to get her spayed. I wasn't sure when to do it and I have also been a bit scared about the risks involved. From what I understand the surgery is more difficult for females than males.

Sorry to hear about their fight :(.

Bugs isprobablystarting tobecome territorial and hormonal since she is entering the teenage phase where her hormones go crazy. Females especially can become quite nasty and territorial when they become hormonal.

If you are working with an experienced rabbit vet who is confident in spaying rabbits, it's not a problem. There's risks with any surgery,butthe main difference is thehealing time after spay is longer than the neuter. It is generally a quick and safe procedure, and is essential if you would like rebond.

Definitely check both over in a couple days when scabs start to form, that's when you'll be able to feel for any bites. Quite hard to detect bites right after a fight, unless they are large and noticeable, otherwise their fur is so thick it can hide bites quite well. I just put a little regular polysporin (not the pain reliever kind - just the regular)on bites and I've never had an issue.. usually they heal quite quickly with no issues!

Definitely able to bond once she's been spayed and she's healed.. although I would wait a month or two after she's spayed for her hormones to go away, for the most part.

Spring is right. Finding the right vet is important.

Where are you located? Perhaps members in your area can give you some recommendations.

Spaying Bugs will make her happier and healthier in the long run.

I'm from Knoxville TN. The vet I brought Buster to seemed to be experienced with rabbits and told me that he has done many neuters and spays for rabbits. I will probably give them a call Monday and arrange for the spay to be done. Is the cost of spaying about the same as neutering?

Im sorry to hear you had a fight- I know how scary they are!

I agree, shes maturing and becoming hormonal right now. A lot of people suggest waiting until both bunnies are sexually mature and spayed/neutered before bonding for this reason- you never know what will happen when those hormones kick in!

I would definitely keep them separated for now. If you can keep them in the same room but separate cages so they can see/smell one another that will help. Switching their cages every few weeks will help them be used to eachother's scents as well during this time apart.

If shes only 4 months old you will probably want to wait a month or two before spaying her. Most vets want a female to be around 5 months of age. Yes there are risks with the surgery, but its even more important to have females spayed than males because females are very susceptible to uterine cancer as they mature into adults. Its well worth the risk of spaying.

Definitely be sure your vet is very experienced with spays since they are more complicated than neuters and a lot of vets dont do them. Make sure its a vet that sends home at least 2 days of pain medicines post op (the injection the day of the surgery is not enough, no matter what they tell you).

We're all here to help. Hopefully you can get her spayed soon, let her heal for 2-3 weeks and get them bonded again. If they bonded once its very likely they will bond again :)

Haley

PS. Heres the link for TN vets in case you want to call around: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11604&forum_id=9

I hope no one minds, but I am going to move this over to the Nutrition and Behavior section so that we have it on hand for others who might have a similar situation. It seems that fighting has been common with several little angels lately! :?

Good luck - all the answers I read were what I would have said :)

Haley wrote:
If shes only 4 months old you will probably want to wait a month or two before spaying her. Most vets want a female to be around 5 months of age. Yes there are risks with the surgery, but its even more important to have females spayed than males because females are very susceptible to uterine cancer as they mature into adults. Its well worth the risk of spaying.

I was told that spaying is easier and has less chance of complications when the doe is young because her reproductive organs aren't fully developed.

It's a delicate balance with the girls. You want to catch them when they are young to make recovery easiest but you also have to wait for them to hit puberty first.

If the rabbit is too underdeveloped, it makes it hard for the vet to see the organs correctly and there is a higher chance that a piece of uterus or ovary will get left behind.

If the breed of rabbit is a small breed, 4 months should be old enough. But for larger breeds, you sometimes have to wait until they are closer to 6 months. An experienced rabbit vet will be able to tell you what age they feel comfortable spaying at.

--Dawn

Hi,

We have probably done more spays and neuters than most anyone. Our guideline for neuters....when the "boys" make their appearance. With girls, somewhere around six months....but it all depends on the overall health as a spay is a major surgery. It takes a skilled doctor to perform this procedure. In our experience, laser surgery is much better for spays. We do not allow external sutures for spays due to the possibility of chewing them and an e-collar is very stressful to a rabbit. We insist on internal self dissolving sutures and a final close with surgical glue...never had a problem. Post-op pain meds are a must. Some vets will not send them home contending that the shot they are given at surgery is all they need....I have a stamp for that one. Some will send Metacam. While Metacam is better than nothing, in my non-professional opinion, it is totally insufficient. We are prepared to administer pain meds for up to five days post-op but have never had to go longer than three.

I would suggest discussing this surgery directly with the vet....not the tech or the front desk staff. You should have some things established, mainly pain meds, prior to the procedure. If your vet says to remove food prior to the surgery, find another vet as rabbits should not be fasted before surgery. Some vets do request that pellets be removed at least two hours before sedation and we have found that to be acceptable but they should have access to hay and water at all times. Post-op....offer a buffet of bunny safe foods to encourage eating as soon as possible. All of our surgical patients are eating by nightfall....but we also use very aggressive pain meds. Hope you find this info useful....and ask questions as there are lots of very rabbit savvy people here.

Randy

I have a older rabbit, Domino who's 3 years and my younger one, Marley. They got along when Marley was about 2/3 months. Domino loved to groom her and be with her but then Marley hit the hormonal age and now they can't be together. :( I never housed them together, only were together during play time. Poor Domino.

Run w/Randy's suggestion and get the girl spayed by laser.

I know when my bun Baxter! came into his hormones it was within 24 hours - he sprayed me and everything he thought was his own -as well as showing he would bite me - which he has stopped doing a few short days after the "fix" but those hormones sent him into "overdrive". He was the bunny I did not know..

He was neutored and I've not seen that aggessive/dominant behaviour to the "extent" I saw before, but he still has ideas about his terrriotory, which I think is healthy..

Good luck and post soon as to what you come up with!

Latest posts

Back