Rabbit fall head injury?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ella

Reaction score
Hi,
My bunny fell from a height (half a meter) last night, he landed on his fours but then after landing, he tilted his head all the way back with his eyes rolled back too. He did that for a few seconds then positioned his head back forward and kept sticking his tongue in and out about 10 times looking like there was something bothering him in his mouth. He then rested and hopped away and did eat his hay today. I am concerned about the head tilt, has anyone encountered this head tilt kind of behaviour in general or after a fall and know what it could be? And any issues with their bun after that? I am taking him to the vet today but sometimes they just don't find everything... Any feedback is much appreciated! Thank you very much!!!

Hi, This happened to my bunny a few years ago. He jumped from my arms as I was putting him down and he landed awkwardly and behaved in the same way yours did. I watched him for a few minutes afterwards and he seemed fine. I'm sure his neck must have been a bit sore afterwards though, but he didn't show it. I think they just land awkwardly and they jar their neck. Your bunny's head tilt may be due to him pulling a muscle in his neck which hopefully will heal itself with time. Needless to say, I am very careful if I have to pick my bunny up so he doesn't do that again.

Hi Izzybella,
Thank you for your reply!! I hope your bun is doing okay now! We went to the vet and they had a neurologist check him out too just to ease our concern, they said everything was fine (phew!) He hasn't had any weird behaviors since that incident. The vet said likely he may have felt nauseous which could also be the same reason why I see from a few posts where bunnies have behaved the same way... They confirmed he did not have a seizure/ concussion because those would have immediate effects on behaviour ie. lack of response/ not as bright and alert.

Hi, I'm glad that your bunny is back to normal now and has recovered from his fall. It's such a worry when they hurt themselves!

Latest posts

Back