Rabbit escaped hutch, came home with hind end dragging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrr

Reaction score
Ugh. Seems like I can't catch a break with my meat rabbits. My flemish/French lop buck escaped his enclosure some time last night. I wasn't overly concerned because we've had escapees before and they always seem to return to the area for an easy capture. This evening I was feeding the other rabbits when my dog started whining at the blackberry bushes. I knew she must smell something in there and figured it must be him. I couldn't get into the bushes myself because its all a huge thick wall of blackberries and stinging nettle so I told her to go check it out (she is incredibly friendly and gentle with the rabbits so even if it was him I knew she wouldn't do anything except maybe flush him out for me). I heard her walking through the brush, and then heard something else rustling in there with her. Next thing I know my buck comes out dragging his hind legs with him. I know it wasn't the dog because I saw/heard her the whole time.. she didn't chase or bite or step on him, just slowly walked in towards him. I picked the buck up and turned him on his back to feel the legs and manually extend each one to see if anything was broken/dislocated.. both seemed to work fine. He still seems able to somewhat use them - he tried to kick me pretty good, but it's sloppy and uncoordinated. Half the time he falls over top of his hind legs and can't walk. My boyfriend thinks we should wait and see because he can still move himself around, but I think there is something seriously wrong. He just lies on his belly and flinched when you touch his back end.. He barely responds.. and when he does move he half drags, half stumbles around on the hind legs.

Any ideas what this could be? Is it best to just put him out of his misery? He's not our best quality buck, but he's our our favourite and I hate to think he might be suffering :(

Edit: he did get up and moved around when my boyfriend brought extra hay just now apparently. I came by and saw him sitting up and nibbling away.. so that's a plus right?

You need a vet. Either you decide that he's only hopping breathing meat and you just let him suffer hoping he will get better on his own which sounds a bit unlikely as rabbits don't do well with pain, or you decide to own up to being an animal owner and get him treated immediately. Keeping animals for meat isn't an excuse to not get them to the vet when they need it. If he is your favorite, there should be no question about it.

Your hostility is neither warranted nor appreciated. Seeing as how you don't know me or anything that's happened since then, it's mighty pretentious of you to swoop in and immediately judge. He IS a meat rabbit, like it or not.. so yes, if he gets hurt and can't recover that's what he'll be used for - get off your high horse and get over it.

However.. if you had actually asked, you'd know that we spoke to our vet last night and he merely has a bruised spine - which will heal in a few weeks to a month with limited movement.

Ahh I was just about to say it sounded like a sprained or broken spine. But I kept reading and saw you said he had a bruised spine. That's good nothing to serious. Hopefully he gets better soon! :)

Aki and Mrr. Both of you have crossed the line. Retaliation is not needed here and you could have reported the post.
Aki if this behaviour continues you will be fully moderated.

Mrr I hope your rabbit recovers. I am glad you spoke with a vet.

Mrr, I assume the vet told you to put your buck in a small cage or area so he can't move around very much. If it is just sprained or bruised he should improve. Minimizing movement will prevent further injury and allow it to heal. It would help if you could give him metacam also.

Latest posts

Back