Rabbit Dying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi folks
One of my rabbits I think is dying. She’s 18 months old and had her neutered 3 week ago. Along with my other rabbit same age. But this one Sophie seemed ok until few days ago she seemed quiet and yesterday took her to vet. They said she lost 1/2 kg which was not good. Gave me pain killer and probiotic. I seperated her from other rabbit in case it’s virus. Today I brought her indoors she lethargic didn’t struggle when picked up. Keeping her warm now with hot water bottle. I feel my fault maybe the operation? Any one had this? She not eating I don’t think she’s strong enough to cope with syringe feeding

If she isn't eating and you don't syringe feed her that'll be a self fulfilling prophecy. I had something like that twice, both pulled through, they really, didn't like it at the time and I lost some blood in the process, but it's worth to put up a fight. I would feed her every 2-3 hours, also in the night. Belly massages, and try getting her out of that lethargy.
I wouldn't give up now, and the longer you wait the worse it gets. Rapidly. It can be that you can't save her, but I would try.
Good luck.

The operation should be all healed up by now, but it takes quite some time to lose 1/2kg, so something is going on for quite some time.

I'm so sorry this is happening... This is not your fault, most operations such as a spay are very safe. She needs to eat, talk to your vet in person or on the phone ASAP regarding the best critical care for what's going on... syringe feeding is the best option you have right now, despite the fact that it will be uncomfortable.

I am taking her to vet in 30 minutes she dying definately I want them to put her to sleep if she’s suffering I feel so bad. They said yesterday it could be a viral infection I just hope my other rabbits don’t get it.

I am taking her to vet in 30 minutes she dying definately I want them to put her to sleep if she’s suffering I feel so bad. They said yesterday it could be a viral infection I just hope my other rabbits don’t get it.
Update? Hoping she's doing well!

So sorry for your loss. But if she was suffering you did the right thing. And know that she was dearly loved while she was with you. Hugs.

Hi Folks.
sadly the vet decided to put her to sleep. It was heart wrenching but she was dying and I couldn’t let her suffer more. The vet said her chest breathing had changed significantly since yesterday. Thank you for your support everyone.
Aw!! I'm so sorry! That's awful. It's good you realized she was suffering. ❤

Stay strong and know you did the best you could to help her. Don't blame yourself. I'm sure she's somewhere safe now with all the other rabbits who couldn't make it. Much love from us and our lost bun too!

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope she is with other rabbits somewhere, binkying along. Take care!

Best wishes~
Remy

I'm so sorry for your loss! You did the right thing by putting her down. She lived a great life!

I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you were forced to make a very hard and humane choice :(. All the best

That is really sad I am so sorry for your loss

Run and binky over the bridge sweet little bun. Say hello to my Flopsy and tell her Munchkin looks forward to seeing her again one day. RIP little one.

Thank you so much you are all fantastic people. One question was I’m not sure if Dophie had a virus that can spread to the other two rabbits. One is a house rabbit and I wanted to bring her in to see him but worried she may spread any infection. She seems ok and lived with Sophie from birth.

Thank you so much you are all fantastic people. One question was I’m not sure if Dophie had a virus that can spread to the other two rabbits. One is a house rabbit and I wanted to bring her in to see him but worried she may spread any infection. She seems ok and lived with Sophie from birth.
Clean everything Sophie used with distilled white vinegar and then set it out in the sun. The vinegar will disinfect and the sun will kill the germs. The stuff will be fine to use with your other rabbits after that.
Why do you think Sophie had a virus? If the other rabbit is doing fine and not having any symptoms then I doubt it was a virus that caused Sophie to get sick.

Back