Rabbit drank dirty water - please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stressedout

Reaction score
I posted this in another of this site's forums but I think it's more appropriate to post it here.Hi. My rabbit is 6-years old, here's the story: there were some dirty waters in my car under the seat (rain got in the car and I haven't had time to clean it up yet), it was only the remains of the water but it was still very wet, probably some juice or Pepsi had spilled there too. Rabbit was in the car and went under that seat while I was driving, he always does that, but I'd totally forgotten about the water and when I picked him up, he was all wet and dirty, his chest, his legs, his face (but not too much), his tummy. I smelled it and it smells nasty. He tried to clean himself but I didn't let him, afraid he would actually drink some of the water; when I got home, I cleaned him with water as much as I could and then dried him, then I put him in his cage, gave him some pineapple juice and now he's cleaning himself. He's had some stomach problems, especially when he's shedding, and I don't know if he's poisoned, I don't think he drank the water directly from the carpet in the car but he did taste some of it when he tried to clean himself before I cleaned him up. Please give me some advice, thanks.

Keep a close eye on him.

You may want to make a visit to the vet to be on the safe side.

Make sure he gets lots of fresh water to drink....and lots of timothy hay to eat.

I wish I could help more :(

Our Rosie was abandoned at a gas station and was covered with grease. We cleaned most of it off, but there was still a good amount that had soaked in and stained her fur. She cleaned herself over the next several days, but never had an ill effect. I'm praying for the same for you.

~Jim

As I stand at the sink scrubbing every last piece of dirt off of the veggies I'm about to feed the bunnies, my roommate laughingly (and correctly) points out that they dig those same veggies out of that verydirt,and they manage to not only survive, but fruitfully multiply. ;)

It's unlikelyhe'll be hurt by her excursion, especially if you wiped it offhim. They're pretty careful themselves about what they eat, so unless he was incredibly thirsty, unlikely he drank it. The small amout he'd lick offprobably won'tdo any serious damage, especially if it was just rainwater, dirtand pepsi.

I'm sure he'll be fine. Just watch him to make sure. :)

FWIW, I just gave Pipp some broccoli,one of her favourites,and even though she had been really hungry (I was latedelivering), she didn't eat the tops. I looked and there was rottedbits buried deep in the florets that I hadn't noticed. I was relieved that she had the sense tonot eat them! Bunnies are smart and will take the healthy route -- as long as there's achoice.

sas :)and the gang of fur :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
FWIW, I just gave Pipp some broccoli,one of her favourites,and even though she had been really hungry (I was latedelivering), she didn't eat the tops. I looked and there was rottedbits buried deep in the florets that I hadn't noticed. I was relieved that she had the sense tonot eat them! Bunnies are smart and will take the healthy route -- as long as there's achoice.

sas :)and the gang of fur :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I bet you still, oh so very carefully, select and scrub and clean and inspect, ... when it comes to the bunnies' veggies..

....just like me.:D

I was in a rush one day and broke several sprigs of parsley for the buns off of a large bunch .....before I cleaned it up. When I got home that evening and cleaned the remaining, I found that the middle of the bunch was starting to turn sour. I immediately went to check on the buns.
I guess it was just enough, and they ate what I gave them,but then a few didn't feel so good for it afterwards. They had recovered by the next day, but it scared the heck out of me. And I felt soooo guilty :(
Scrubba-scrubba...says I ;)

~Jim

I remember somebodies youngster got into a jar of vaseline. Not only did they get it all over themselves, but they though the bunnie would look pretty "slick" too!

I can't remember what was used to clean it off, but the bunnie was okay. Hard to hold on to, but okay none-the-less.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
I bet you still, oh so very carefully, select and scrub and clean and inspect, ... when it comes to the bunnies' veggies..

....just like me.:D
Yup!! :biggrin The 'broccoli incident' scared the heck out of me. Dirt is one thing (not that I'll let anybunny eat that, either), but those slimy bits are another. :shock:Even though Pippdidn't eat it -- and I wasamazed she didn't --I know she would have had I left it in there much longer. It probably would have given her gas, the gas would have led to stasis, and ... :nerves1

BothPipp and Dill have had bad gas attacks where I swear they looked like they were about to croak! Pipp's werefrom me feeding her too many veggies after a dry spell, and I don't know what causedDill's (2), but it was also right after he ate parsleyand cilantro, so...

Scrubba scurbba scrubba scurbba scrubba cleanand inspect -- with a magnifying glass if possible!!!!

sas :)

Pipp wrote:

BothPipp and Dill have had bad gas attacks where I swear they looked like they were about to croak!

S'more was literally on the reaper's stoop with an intestinal infection....that lead to GI stasis....that caused a terrible gas attack. She got so bloated that her tummie fur was almost standing straight out. The poor sweetie looked like a furry basketball :(. That was when I learned the magic of simethicone from Carolyn.

~Jim

dreamgal042 wrote:
:threadhijacked???
:imsorry

:DI think it's allowed when there's more than one thread for the same issue (jk) ;).

I think the point was to demonstrate that although bunnies are delicate creatures, they can be very resilient in some cases.

I was wondering how Rabbit was doing today. Any updates, stressedout??

~Jim

Back