Rabbit doesn't use his litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackiesowner

Reaction score
Hello! Blackie has turned 6 months and we changed his hay from alfalfa to timothy and also changed his Pellets. The only problem is that I started noticing that he isn't using his litterbox that much. I am not sure I'd he isn't using it at all but when he was younger he was always in there. Could it be that he doesn't like timothy hay? Or that he isn't neutered? He will get neutered this summer. He does poop out of his litterbox but I thought that was because of teritorical issues. Or could it be that he is eating too much food and get full? I give him a handful of greens in the Morning with his Pellets (a tablespoon) and same at night.
I don't know what to do and I am scared that his teeth will overgrow because of it.

Thank you in advance! Have a nice day!!

It is very important that he eats plenty of hay every day. If he is not liking the timothy, it's probably because he prefers the alfalfa. Most rabbits do because it is richer and sweeter. Did you mix timothy with the alfalfa to let him get used to the timothy or did you just switch cold turkey? If you didn't mix it, I'd suggest doing so. Gradually decrease the amount of alfalfa in the mix until he's eating just timothy.

If you did mix it and he's still rejecting timothy, then try a different grass hay. Bermuda, brome, orchard, meadow... are a few other options.

As long as he eats his hay, his teeth should be just fine.

The litterbox issues are suredly due to his hormones. The sooner he's neutered, the sooner he can heal and then get back to better habits. If one waits too long to neuter, some of those hormonal behaviors can become ingrained.

It is very important that he eats plenty of hay every day. If he is not liking the timothy, it's probably because he prefers the alfalfa. Most rabbits do because it is richer and sweeter. Did you mix timothy with the alfalfa to let him get used to the timothy or did you just switch cold turkey? If you didn't mix it, I'd suggest doing so. Gradually decrease the amount of alfalfa in the mix until he's eating just timothy.

If you did mix it and he's still rejecting timothy, then try a different grass hay. Bermuda, brome, orchard, meadow... are a few other options.

As long as he eats his hay, his teeth should be just fine.

The litterbox issues are suredly due to his hormones. The sooner he's neutered, the sooner he can heal and then get back to better habits. If one waits too long to neuter, some of those hormonal behaviors can become ingrained.
Yeah I did mix them! I started with a bit of timothy and everyday added a little more. He seemed to like it very much. I will try another hay mixed with timothy and see if he likes that better.

He will get neutered this month or the next.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Latest posts

Back