Rabbit doesn't react to sound, motion, smells, etc (Really need some help)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayDai

Reaction score
Hello, I don't know where else I could ask besides my vet which isn't available at the moment.

I have a 7 month old rabbit and has been with me for 3 of those months. He has 2 different colored eyes and one may be marbled as well. (idk though I felt I should add but his eyes don't look distressed in any way) since I received him it seemed as if he was too comfortable and not reactive, not that that's a bad thing until recently I got him neutered last month and have been slowly introducing him to my female rabbit, my female was not an issue but it seems as if he couldn't even tell there was another rabbit around. He never reacts to loud noises, he doesn't follow my finger unless he is touched, and seems as if he can't smell either. He only realizes his food bowl is filled when I physically bring him there or if I tap on the bowl hard enough to make the ground shake a little.

This wasn't an issue before but now that I want to start bonding my female wants to be dominant and he doesn't even realize she's there which makes her upset and probably makes her think he's ignoring her because he wants to be dominant which isn't the case.

Extra: My grandparents own a farm and I visited and a tractor went right by him and he was stilled flopped over, no reaction or anything.

My rabbits don't care about loud noises either, which poses problemes when working with the chainsaw or chopping wood. Small doesn't seem to bother them in the least, they get their clues that good food is comming from my behaviour, and little sounds, like the pellet pail makes when moving. I train them by shaking the pail every time before giving them any, so I definitly know their hearing works fine although I could drop a pile of pans right beside them and they wouldn't even flinch.
I'm not sure if mine would follow fingers, imo, they are not predators like cats or dogs. Their prey tends to move incredible slow.

From what you write it sounds like he is a very laid back dude. To check his hearing I would make a small noise before and while giving him a treat, and see if he reacts to this noise after a week or so. He isn't a lop, is he?

My rabbits don't care about loud noises either, which poses problemes when working with the chainsaw or chopping wood. Small doesn't seem to bother them in the least, they get their clues that good food is comming from my behaviour, and little sounds, like the pellet pail makes when moving. I train them by shaking the pail every time before giving them any, so I definitly know their hearing works fine although I could drop a pile of pans right beside them and they wouldn't even flinch.
I'm not sure if mine would follow fingers, imo, they are not predators like cats or dogs. Their prey tends to move incredible slow.

From what you write it sounds like he is a very laid back dude. To check his hearing I would make a small noise before and while giving him a treat, and see if he reacts to this noise after a week or so. He isn't a lop, is he?
He is part lop but his ears aren’t down, hes a big mix of breeds, so lop, Dutch, lion head, and possibly satin, I wouldn’t mind the hearing and he was around litttle kids when he was super young but it bothers me that he isn’t able to tend that my female is right in front of him. I did a test and put a bar between them recently and my female didn’t care but notices hes there, whereas my male (the problem) doesn’t seem to see her, hes climb the bars but it is as if he can’t find her, until I poke him and nudge into the right direction and then he notices. I just don’t want it being a huge issue with bonding, I’ll be moving abroad next year and they will have to be in the same carrier for the trip so I need to make sure they can get bonded, it just worries me because he can’t find her when she’s right in front of him :/9793E83C-DFAD-43BF-A7E0-E25DD4101FDA.jpeg

I’m sort of wondering if he’s deaf and blind from your description. I have heard some animals born with different colored eyes are sometimes blind, don’t know if that also goes for bunnies. But definitely try the hearing test @Preitler mentioned to see if he is just a really chill bunny hearing-wise.

Back